Chapter 3: Apu

The first idea that comes to my mind is working for the Kwik E Mart. It was right next door the the Krusty Burger, the restaurant I had just run out of. Besides, working in a confidence store seems pretty easy for a starter job.

I go in through the door and a bell goes off.

"Oh, hello," a man with brown skin, black hair and an Indian accent greeted me. "Welcome to the Kwik E Mart. How may I help you?"

I was just about to ask for a job, until he says, "Hey, I have never seen you around here. Are you new to town?"

I giggle. (Wow, every really DOES know everybody around here.) It's so cute how close everyone in this town is.

"Yes I am new. I just moved here from (city, state)."

"Ah... So you have never been to my store before...?"

"Um, nope."

He smiles evilly, like the Grinch, and begins to laugh evilly. I stand there, confused and a bit creeped out. Then I have a thought.

(Huh, it would be rude to ask for a job without having bought something, right?)

Besides, I do need to bring home some food. Luckily I had brought the most important stuff from my car to my room. Money, snacks, blankets, pillows and my purse. Unfortunately, all my food, drinks, plates, utensils, clothes and shoes were all in the car. Ugh, just thinking about it makes me sick. I really need my clothes. (They were my favorite!!!)

I make a note to visit the police as soon as possible. I look around the store for some essentials. Since I had a bunch of this stuff in my car, I didn't bring as much money as I should have.

I pick up a cheap pack of styrofoam cups and plates, some plastics utensils, a pack of frozen burritos, some bread, a few jugs a of water, a can of lemonade, some spaghetti noodles and sauce and a map of Springfield, just in case.

I didn't realized how much I had picked up until I had set it on the counter. I guess that's the beauty of grocery stores, getting you to buy more. I paid for the stuff, only to realize that I have no car to put it in! I will have to carry this all the way home!

I need a car and soon. With a steady job, I could at least rent one for a while.

"Hello, um, sir, I didn't get your name." I smile widely and cutely.

"It's Apu."

"Oh. My name is (y/n). Um, you see, I'm new here and I kind of need a job-"

"Thank you, come again." He says, smiling.

Whoa, that was a fast rejection.

"Um, maybe you could reconsider. Maybe I could... Clean up whenever you need cleaning. Or-"

"*sigh* Look, as you can see, this store is not exactly in need of extra hands. I get a few customers here and there, but we aren't usually "busy". I hate to sound mean, but there is no need for any workers here."

"Oh." Well, that kinda sucks. I guess looking for a job won't be as easy as I thought it would be. "I understand. Thank you anyways." I pick up my groceries.

As I realize that I forgotten to get my change, he gets a call.

"Oh, hello sweetie." I swipe my change he had set on the counter. He must be talking to his wife. "I cannot wait for tonight."

I smile. (Awww, they must be having a date night).

"What? She cancelled?! Why? Did she accidentally see the kids? ALL OF THEM? No!"

God, I've got a bad habit of eavesdropping. "Well how are we supposed to fight another sitter who would take care of those little demons?"

Gasp! This was my chance.

"Hey." He looks up, really stressed out and saddened. "I could watch your kids. I don't care how bad they are!"

He thinks for a second. "Let me call you back." He hands up and looks at me.

"Why should I hire you?"

I set my groceries down on the floor and explain.

"Im 23 and I've been baby sitting since I was 14 years old. I know CPR. I've been a camp counselor every summer since I was 17 so I'm good with kids, even the stubborn, bratty, crying types. I'm used to taking care of multiple kids at the same time and -"

He smiles and laughs. "Okay, okay. You are more than qualified."

(Huh, he's not even going to check my background? Strange.)

He gave me a list of info and the time to be at his house.

"I will be paid per hour, per kid." This pissed him off a little, but he didn't have much of a choice.