13: Unpredictable

Start from the beginning

"A pretty fucked up parade," she piped.

"Hey! They're trying their best!" Jimin exclaimed, feigning indignation. Mara snorted as Jimin followed that with dramatic marching. Mara playfully pushed Jimin, the boy resuming to his casual, slow trod.

As they walked, the two looked around for any stray brutes. If one were to wander off, several more could follow and the attempt to lead them far away would prove futile. One slip up and either of them could be engulfed by the horde. They were avoiding a double ended sword, but the uncertainty of an unpredictable mob made it a difficult task. Both of them had to focus. Being absent, even if not physically, in that particular moment never did anyone any favors.

As the focused duo continued to lead the brutes away, Mara racked her brain for a something even mildly interesting she could say but she came up empty handed. Not only that, but her fear of slipping up made it all the more difficult to talk to Jimin. Upon glancing over at him for the umpteenth time, she observed his quietude. She assumed it was the opposite of his inner turmoil, but she deemed it as some sort of placebo effect. If you acted normal, or at least perceived your nerves as another positive emotion, you could really psyche yourself out of feeling anxious.

Since when am I a psychiatrist?

"You're thinking really hard," came from beside Mara. She blinked repeatedly, her blurred vision clearing up. She mentally scolded herself for zoning out, side-eyeing Jimin only to be met with his stare. He tilted his head curiously, "What's on your mind?"

Mara shrugged despite knowing the answer—a force of habit.

"I was just thinking about how calm you look," she glanced at him, "It helps me stay calm, too." Jimin appeared surprised, his eyes widening by a fraction and eyebrows slowly raising. He suddenly became engrossed in the path behind them—the one he faced.

"My outward appearance doesn't always reflect how I feel. I feel very tense," he spoke solemnly, his free hand coming to his shoulder and rubbing soothingly, "But if I'm being honest, I thought you were the calm one. I'm trying to remain calm by sort of...mimicking you, if that makes sense."

"So what I'm hearing is, I made you feel calm by looking calm, but I was only calm because I thought you looked calm, even though I was only trying to look as calm as you but you looked calm because I looked calm?" Mara rambled. Her fast-spoken and roundabout shpiel elicited a laugh from the Jimin. He nodded with a look of relief.

His laugh made her nerves dwindle.

"We cancelled 'em out," Jimin commented, earning a  comically dubious glance from Mara.

"Can't be too sure," she muttered, "But for now, we're okay."

Mara paused in her train of thought, "Am I that easy to read? I mean, my face...Do I make faces when Im thinking hard?"

Jimin gave it some thought, but it all seemed fruitless when his answer was an abrupt, "Yes."

"Oh."

"But in a good way," Jimin rushed, "In a good way."

Mara snorted, "How's that any good for me?"

Jimin shrugged, "If you're easy to read, I can help when you're not doing okay. I mean, isn't that what company is for? Friends?"

Mara hadn't once heard the word "friends" come from Jimin's mouth, let alone regarding them two. It was a stage they'd reached that hadn't outright been mentioned, but they'd acknowledged it. It was clear from the way Jimin fondly treated and acted around Mara.

The girl was just caught off guard. It was the high schooler in her that was giddy with realization.

"No take-backsies," Mara rushed, giving a pointed look at Jimin. His brows furrowed in confusion.