13: Unpredictable

Start from the beginning

I probably would have, she thought.

"Everything will be safe. Trust me. There's no one out here and leaving this would be the best option if we want to move faster," Jimin stated confidently, and Mara nodded in agreement. That part of her that was hoping to stay was holding her back ever so slightly. To have Jimin here to push her beyond that threshold was important. Mara might have been surviving for three years, but she had yet to learn many things — making hard choices was definitely one of them.

"We're going to be okay," Jimin spoke, stare focused on a zoned-out Mara. Her glossy eyes brought Jimin's brows down in concern. Jimin opened his mouth to speak, but was interrupted by Mara, who swiftly got to work.

"Let's get this over with quickly. I'm already dreading it," she chuckled anxiously. Jimin nodded, clearing his throat and following suit. Both worked in silence, with Jimin often glancing over at the girl, eyes soft.

"I say we don't try and make it in one day. We can't overexert ourselves," Mara quietly added, "It's a long way and we won't even get halfway by dark." Jimin's eyes widened at that, and he could do nothing but acquiesce. The last time she'd gone to the lodge was a year-and-a-half ago, and it had taken her about two days to complete the trip. However, she wasn't held back by a heavy bag. Though she was quite thankful for a heavier bag, convenience had long been thrown out the window.

The pair had begun their descent down the stairs, and the anxiety in Mara's body grew the further down they went. Soon they had reached the door, it's barricade moved over and their belongings placed behind it. Now hidden, they could slip out the door, where a horde was already gathered. The dead made their way around the intersection towards the two that stood uneasy.

Mara and Jimin nodded at each other, bandanas covering their faces and hats in place. Jimin bore his axe in a tight grip while Mara held her machete in her hands.  They hid behind the next corner of the building, preparing to draw attention to themselves at a dangerously high magnitude. Jimin looked incredibly collected, all the while Mara was only just beginning to gain confidence.

Both turned the corner abruptly, faced with the wave of hungry corpses.

Noise flooded the streets, a song of chaos comprised of guttural groans and shouting. Mara made as much noise as she possibly could, Jimin beside her as protection. The heads of brutes turned slowly at the loud sounds, their sight set upon the two that called to them. The many brutes proceeded to drag their feet over, some having yet seen Mara and Jimin but following the lead nonetheless.

Mara walked back slowly, now followed by the horde. She looked into their cloudy eyes, opaque and devoid, yet ever so ravenous. Though Jimin looked brave, Mara could note the disconcerted look on his face, merely from the glance she threw over her shoulder at him. She couldn't blame him.

It takes guts to face these monsters head on, Mara thought, yelling over the collective snarls.

She was putting much of her trust on Jimin. Despite his anxiety, she knew he could handle a bit of responsibility. He wasn't always in a panic, not like the Jimin she saw a month-or-so ago. He just happened to let his doubts get a hold of him.

At least one of us has to be brave, Mara thought.

"I think we're good. We have their attention," Jimin spoke into Mara's ear, leading her to nod and simply resume walking quietly. Some brutes tripped and fell over the rubble and junk that littered the streets. This caused a couple of pileups as brutes were trampled over by others. Mara watched with slight amusement, nerves slightly at ease.

"Doesn't this feel like a parade," Jimin piped up, walking forward as Mara walked backwards at his same pace. Mara glanced at him, a small smile enveloping the previous frown. She slightly tilted her head.