Chapter 18: I Want To Live In The Present

Arthit's POV

"I think I have a plan"

What? What?

"Something clearly happened on the day of the accident that triggered this whole chain of events. The future changed so many times but the accident still keeps happening. The only way to prevent the accident is by finding and destroying that trigger on the day of the accident before it sets off. 

And, only you can do it, Arthit"

"What should I do, Kong?"

"First, ask your mom out for breakfast on the day of the accident. According to police records, the accident happened around 11am. So you need to make sure she is safe well after that.

Text me in the morning and tell me that dorm registrations have been extended till 5pm. Give whatever excuse you want. You are the head hazer, I am sure you can make it happen.

That way, I wont go with my dad to the college, even if you get late.

You can spend the morning with your mom and then help me move to the dorms later. Every body will be safe and where they need to be. What do you think?"

I thought about it for a little while. "Its a good plan. I could borrow Bright's car to get to you faster and help you with your stuff.

But Kong.. executing this plan on the day of the accident means it will be our last chance. There will be no room for mistakes. If I miss my chance to fix things, there is no way for us redo any thing."

"I know. But this might be our only way."

"Do you think it would work?"

"I don't know Arthit. I am just hoping that it does and there are no surprises on the day of the accident."

I moved forward and hugged Kongpob tightly. I didn't know why this was happening to us, but at least we had a chance to fix things.

···

There are now two days left till the accident. I have been meeting mom everyday. Even if I can't change the future, I would at least want to spend as much time with her as I can.

We never meet at the house though. She either comes to my apartment and cooks her delicious food or we go to a restaurant together. Today, we decided to have lunch at a new restaurant that opened up nearby.

"Mom, have you been taking your medicines on time? And you are not drinking.. are you?"

"Arthit, why do you doubt your mother so much? I am taking all the medication and I haven't touched liquor since the day I promised you."

"Do-do you still feel lonely in the house?"

"Of course I do. You refuse to come back and your father is still travelling. He hardly even calls anymore. Who knows? May be he found a younger, better version of me"

"I don't think so mom. Dad has just always been too much into his work. He's probably just busy, like always.

"I hope you are right Arthit"

"You know you always have me right, mom? If anything happens, please call right away.

Even if there is anything that triggers and makes you want drink again — call me first"

"I will, Arthit.

Sometimes, I feel like I forced you to grow up too soon."I held her hand and smiled. "No you didn't mom. You just raised me well"