Transient

Korea, 33CE, Spring
Three Kingdoms Period
Goguryeo

The princess painted an ethereal picture against the gentle vortex of swirling pink cherry blossom petals carried by the spring breeze, looking almost like a celestial being in her silk robes of daffodil yellow.

Silently, Prince Hyun Bin watched her from behind a pavilion's pillar, as she sat in the garden with her ladies-in-waiting.

Talking and laughing as they tried to catch the falling cherry blossom petals with their hands, the young ladies appeared to be enjoying themselves very much.

Gazing skyward, her slender hands would reach out for the tiny bits of descending pink, before closing around those fingers around it and checking to see if she had been successful in her attempt.

If her hand had been empty, she would settle for casting a soft look of disappointment towards her companions.

If there was a pink petal or two within the confines of her palm, it would undoubtedly elicit small smiles from her.

Princess Yejin of Nakrang, famed for her captivating eye smile, was certainly generous with it when she was among her handmaidens.

Yet when no one was watching, there was always an air of wistfulness blanketing her.

In the sea of warm pink petals and spring scent, her mesmerizing beauty appeared exceptionally forlorn.

Fleeting and transient were her slightly melancholic smiles.

They were just like cherry blossom petals - most breathtakingly beautiful when they were falling.

Unfortunately, Prince Hyun Bin was not on the receiving end of any of those smiles.

It had been more than two months since their wedding, but the princess had not as much as smiled once at him.

Even though winter had already given way to spring, the princess' frosty treatment of her husband had not thawed in the least.

As time slipped by them, the initial hostility Princess Yejin had displayed towards him had faded into muted indifference.

She was still clearly terrified of sharing a bed with him, from how she would visibly flinch when he came too near.

Yet being married into the Goguryeo royal family with no way of ever returning to Nakrang, Princess Yejin was as good as a caged bird with nowhere to go.

So he spared her from the agony.

Every night, after the ladies-in-waiting prepared their bed and took their leave, he would stoically take his bedding to the adjoining study, where he would spend the night.

It was uncomfortable, especially during the initial winter weeks.

But it was still preferable by comparison to the icy atmosphere between the two young people.