Chapter Thirty-One

Start from the beginning

"But now he's dead," Hope says again. She hasn't commented on my rage yet, I know she's waiting.

"Yes,"

"So technically he did spend the rest of his life behind bars. Maybe not the forty years you were expecting. But he did spend the rest of his life stuck in a cage," she says seriously, and I sit down on the floor and play with the plastic cube.

"You are technically correct," I say.

"So, I acknowledge the rage and anger you're feeling, but is it really worth continuing to cart around for the rest of your life, Faith? Don't you deserve to work through everything and not have to think about the pain you want to cause of him?" She asks me seriously and I look up at her and she gives me a sad smile.

"Do I deserve that?" I ask bitterly. I still struggle with the idea that I am worth everything I am being given. My musical talents only contribute so much to the world.

"I can sit here and tell you all day that you do deserve that, but you need to believe that yourself," Hope says, and I lie down on the floor and stare at the ceiling.

"Therapy is hard," I say disgruntled and she laughs.

"Yes, it is, now get off the floor, it hasn't been vacuumed recently,  and let's finish this conversation," she says, and I oblige.

After my appointment is over, I wait for Hope to finish up her appointment with Orion. He switched his treatment and care over to her once he received his official diagnosis of D.I.D., and he seems content with the care he is getting. Dialing Ruka, I pace around outside talking to her about the dinner party we are attending tonight. It is a massive welcome back party for Lyle that his dad is hosting.

"Ready?" Orion asks startling me and I smile as we start walking in the direction of the coffee shop.

"Therapy is hard," Orion grumbles as we cross the street and I glance up at him.

"I had a rough session today too," I say sympathetically, and he gives me a faint smile.

"We've got this," I say looping my arm through his.

"I know," he says, and I pull him in the right direction.

"Why did Lyle want to get coffee when we're all seeing him tonight?" Orion asks and I shrug. I didn't ask why.

"I'll let you know when I'm done," I say as I see the little shop, it's near the Italian restaurant the whole family likes.

"Alright, I'll pick you up when you're done," he says before turning to walk towards Caspian. Walking in, I see Lyle in a quieter corner with his laptop in front of him. Ordering myself a cup of coffee, I slide in across from him.

"Faith! I'm so glad you could meet me," he says, and I make myself comfortable.

"Welcome back to New York," I say, and he smiles. The top button on his shirt is still undone and his hair is longer than before he left but I saw his pressed, tailored jeans, and shined shoes from across the room.

"I'm glad to be back, although I won't lie, I miss Devyn," he says, and I grin. He loves that woman, she's his best friend.

"I think she would be offended if you didn't," I say as I sip my coffee.

"I need to apologize to you, today is a day of corrections for me," Lyle says surprising me.

"What do you need to apologize for?" I ask confused. Lyle and I talk almost weekly, I don't remember him saying anything offensive.