Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

"Okay, here is the sheet music, this is the piano that all of the seniors use for the showcase. I am sure if they could switch it out for their personal ones they would in a heartbeat," Colton says in a teasing tone and I smirk.

"I'm going to go get changed," he says before walking away.

The boys had won first place in playoffs, unsurprisingly. So now Colton can focus on preparing for the showcase and not worry about anything soccer related except for their end of the year banquet. He and Carter have been chatting my ear off about, how great the food is, mostly just the food.

I start reviewing the piece and mark in some things that I know I will most likely mess up. Tentatively pressing the keys, I am surprised but the beautiful sound that pours out of the piano. I start playing the intro and manage to get through it fairly unscathed. As I am breaking into the middle ballad section, I hear the door open, but I ignore it assuming it is just Colton.

I can't help but pour my soul into this piece. I have played bits of it in medleys before but never the full thing. My hands stroke the keys and I try to pull the sound of the keys and have the warmest, richest tone possible. Everything feels still as I continue to play until I start the next section. I pause looking at the slew of notes and laugh; that is going to be a pain in the ass.

"Wow I think this is the first time I have heard you play," a familiar voice says. Looking off of the stage I see Colton and Carter. I wave to them and Colton climbs up on stage.

"We can start with the balled section since that part seemed to go over fairly well," Colton says, and I nod.

I pull out my phone and put up my metronome app. I listen for the tempo I am supposed to be playing at and decide to just leave it running. I play along with the metronome and Colton stops me occasionally to point out places where I can take more creative liberty. We play through the entire balled section one and I am surprised by how well it goes. The bell for the end of the day rings and I jump slightly.

"I'm going to stay here and practice. I will see you guys tomorrow," Colton says grabbing his things as I dismount the stage.

I give him a thumb's up, and Carter and I walk out of school and we wave goodbye as we walk to our various cars. Climbing into the back seat a sinking feeling rips at my stomach and I just ignore tightening my grip on my bag. I climb out of the car and make my way up to the apartment. Once I get off the elevator, I hear a voice, it is male, much younger than Dax's, and more articulate.

Opening the door, I close it with a thud, making sure to announce my presence. I drop my bag and go into the kitchen to grab something to eat. I hear Cathleen and Aviva, along with Ruka, and just decide to ignore them. I am not really in the mood to meet this new guy or see Aviva or Cathleen.

"Faith?" Ruka calls out and I knock a cabinet closed.

"Come into the living room when you get a chance honey," she says, and I make a face before walking the ten feet to the living room.

Ruka and Aviva are facing me, and I see Cathleen's head but then there is the mystery guy's hair. It's bordering black with a warm brown undertone to it. When he turns to face me, I freeze, those green eyes. Memories flash before my eyes as I see her green eyes, horrifically cold, and detached from everything. Panic shoots through me as stumble backward. I can see the concern in his eyes, but I can't stop seeing her, the woman who did this to me.