The Monster Isn't Real Michael

Natalie was in the living room, cleaning up her sons toys after she just put him into bed. He watched Toy Story twice and he fell asleep halfway through the third time. It was amazing how much resolve he had...

At least he fell asleep before it got too late, Natalie said with a smile, rearranging the toys in her arms as she picked up Michael's Buzz Lightyear toy.

Really. She often wondered whether or not he got it from his father. His father always had a burning resolve that was awe inspiring, and the fact that he kept his word was something she admired too.

Stop it, Natalie thought with a frown. Don't go back there...

Natalie shook her head and stuffed the rest of the toys in the basket, her hand absentmindedly brushing a few hairs behind her ear. But as soon as she stood up straight, she noticed Michael at the door, rubbing his eyes and clinging onto his teddy bear, Jojo. He looked like he was on the edge of crying, his eyes red and his lips quivering.

"Michael? What's wrong, sweetie?" Natalie asked, walking over to her son before kneeling down in front of him to look him in the eyes. She placed the toys on the floor to hold his shoulders, her eyes searching his. "Did you have a nightmare?"

Michael shook his head sleepily, sniffling. "No..."

"Then what's wrong?" Natalie asked, bringing her hand to his forehead. She was checking for a fever, but she found no trace of any.

"There's a monster under my bed... It keeps scratching..." Michael murmured in a small voice as he lowered his head to look down at the floor, tears welling in his eyes.

"Honey, that's probably Snookums. You know that silly cat likes to scratch things.." Natalie said with a small smile.

"B-But... it keeps making laughing noises and saying mean things, mommy... It keeps saying that it'll do bad things to you." Michael uttered, tears falling down his cheeks before he brought both his hands up to cover them, trying to wipe them away.

Natalie's eyes softened before she quickly drew her son close, hugging him as he cried against her chest. Truthfully, Natalie thought it was a nightmare, but something in the back of her mind told her it wasn't. It's like the feeling you get when you think you forgot something after leaving from a sleepover. Or like the surge of fright you receive when you put something away in the car during the night when no one's around.

It's him, isn't it, Natalie stated within her mind, her eyes watering as well before she held them back.

Natalie had spent all of Michael's life to keep them both hidden from him, but every time they moved, he always found them. When they moved to California, he followed them and left a bloody trail behind him. When they moved to Nevada, he found them and murdered their neighbor's gardener. And now.... How is she supposed to run this time? He was probably in the house now, ready to strike them at any moment.

What if he found out about Michael...? Natalie asked herself, fear for her son's safety shaking her. But she shook her head, trying to rid herself of those thoughts. She needed to stay strong in front of Michael, and she needed to protect him.

"I-I'll take care of it. Okay, baby? Mommy will make the scary monster go away," Natalie whispered before picking up her son and turning on her feet.

Holding onto her son firmly, Natalie headed towards the couch before letting Michael go so that he could sit there. Right next to the piece of furniture was a drawer with a phone on it. She pointed at it and she smiled gently, the smile not reaching her eyes as her fingers trembled.