Isn't

WARNING: HEAVY DUTY language and domestic violence. You have been warned.

The night was dark and silent as the Thompson's had their dinner. Like usual, Michael sat apart from the rest of the family on the other side of the table. It was quiet and the vibe was as thick as a winter fog. Liberty sat on the other side of the table, eating her share as her father talked on the phone in the other room. His hushed whispers could even be heard from the dining room and it was quite obvious that it was a serious issue. Liberty's mother was chugging down a glass of wine per usual, a crooked grin playing at her lips before she emptied the glass and licked her lips.

Michael frowned and stared down at his peas. It was always like this for the past three months. Quiet and heavy. He brought his fork to one of his peas and slowly stuck his fork through it, the motion intense and slow. He really hated this house. It was wrong on so many levels. But even so, the other houses were a lot worse when it came to physical harm to him.

"Sweetie. You should eat your peas," Mrs. Thompson slurred.

Michael shot his head up, thinking that Mrs. Thompson was speaking to him. But no. It was directed towards Liberty. He narrowed his eyes and prepared to observe the scene before him. It was rare to see the family interact at all, so he couldn't pass up the opportunity to watch.

Liberty looked up from her plate, confused. She looked as though she had snapped back into reality. Or maybe it was because she hadn't heard her mother say such caring words in a long time.

"O-oh... Yeah. I'll do that," Liberty stammered.

Michael glanced over at Mrs Thompson and she smiled towards her daughter. The smile was that of relief. Like she was genuinely concerned about her daughter's health. Michael had seen that expression before. On his own mother's face....

This isn't a time to think about her.

Michael quickly averted his eyes. He'd better listen to the voice. He didn't want to bring up things that upset him. It always made him feel these... stirring feelings.

"Good. So how are the piano lessons? Learn anything?" Mrs. Thompson asked sloppily, trying really hard not to look like an idiot in front of her daughter.

Liberty smiled and brushed aside how her mother was acting. She was probably used to pretending that it didn't bother her.

"N-not really." Liberty said nervously before turning to look over at Michael. "But Michael is doing great. Miss Luno said that he's the best student she's had in her teaching career."

Michael felt his cheeks darken and his shoulders hike up from embarrassment. He quickly averted his gaze and looked down his lap, trying to hide his red cheeks by allowing his bangs to fall over his face.

"Really?" Mrs. Thompson asked in awe, bringing her attention over to Michael.

His heart racing, Michael peeked up at her and he felt himself relax once he saw her smile. The smile reminded him of his mother's. It was so full of pride and radiance that Michael couldn't help but feel proud of himself.

Michael slowly nodded in response. The smile on Mrs. Thompson's face broadened from this and Michael felt a fluttering feeling in his heart just witnessing it. "That's amazing. Is it alright if you play for me when you're free? I would love to hear it."

Hesitating, Michael swallowed and thought about it. He never performed in front of anyone before. Well, maybe he's sung in front of Jake once or twice, but Jake was his friend. Err.... BOYFRIEND. That comfort of singing in front of someone came natural when he was with him.