Chapter 6

IZZY

I woke up to see Minho shaking me... again. I was still mad about the whole runner situation, but Minho could cheer me up. 

"Hey, I just wanted to talk to you for a sec... While Newt's not around," Minho whispered.

"Okay," I rubbed my eyes still wanting to sleep.

"I know that you would be a good runner, so I'm going to talk to Alby about it. If Alby decides to hold a  meeting about it for the keepers to decide. Don't tell Newt about it right now, okay?" 

"Why would I ruin my chance to be a runner?" I knew I was smiling like a goof, but I couldn't help it... I was so happy!

He was about to get up and walk away but turned back, "Oh yeah... Stop smiling like a slinthead!"

We both started laughing when he got up and ran to the walls. I can't wait to be doing that instead of being here with all these shanks. I got up and walked to breakfast, but halfway there I felt a hand on my shoulder. I knew it was Newt before I even turned around. I knew he was going to apologize for being a 'bloody shuckface', but he wasn't going to change his mind. He was weird like that. I like weird though.

I turned around and I was right Newt was there, he apologized, but when I asked if I could be a runner he still said no. It was weird I haven't been here for even two weeks and I knew Newt better than I knew myself.

We both got breakfast of jam on toast, and sat at our picnic table. We talked for a while till we saw a runnner named Sean run out of the Maze screaming. Newt and I looked at eachother, and got up to go find Sean.

I found him first. He tried to pin me on the ground but failed. I pinned him first. He was screaming his shucking head off, and I screamed for Newt. He found us in about 30 seconds. When the gladers heard me scream for Newt, everyone came running and surrounded me and a struggling Sean. Once we were surrounded I got up, and Sean tried to run but the people wouldn't budge. Gally came and kicked Sean's feet out from under him, and Sean fell on the ground still screaming. I then realized that he got stung. Alby lifted Sean's shirt up, and I was right there was this huge wound that had lines coming from it. Ably and Gally picked Sean up and carried him to the Homestead. 

"Woah, that was heavy man," Someone said, and everyone started laughing.

We started our jobs and did our usual all day. Med-jacks... yay...

When Minho came back it was about time for dinner. He came up to me and whispered, "Have you seen Alby? I need to talk to him about what we discussed this morning,"

"Yeah, he's over by the Homestead." I answered pointing.

"Thanks." He said running to the Homestead.

The next morning, Minho was shaking me awake again. "Hey did you talk to Alby?" I asked.

"Yeah, He's holding a meeting in an hour.. He seems to approve,"

"Yay!" I hugged Minho.

I heard him muster, "Can't... breathe,"

I pulled away, while Minho sucked in air, "Oh, sorry... I'm just excited!"

"Yeah," he was still trying to catch his breath, "I can tell,"

"Will I have to be there?"

"Yeah, since it will be about you,"

"That's why I'm not running today,"

"Yay! We can hang. Newt probably will be mad at us,"

"No, I set it up, so Newt will be mad at me. Your boyfriend won't be a jerk to you," he smirked.

The blood rushed to my cheeks, "He's not my boyfriend! Even if I did, you can tell Newt doesn't like me,"

Minho chuckled, "Are you blind?"

"What do you mean?"

"I've seen the way he looks at you. When you wouldn't talk to him, he was too quiet. I'm surprised you haven't noticed it!" 

I rolled my eyes, "Whatever, Minho."

An hour later, Alby found us and said, "Come on, you two. The meeting's starting." Minho and I then got up, and we followed Alby to the Homestead.

We got there and all the Keepers were there. Newt gave a look that said, "What the crap are you doing here?"

Alby said, "Everybody take a seat! Izzy you can sit there," He motioned to a old, wooden chair in the front of the room.

"Today's meeting is about letting Izzy here be a runner," Alby started. Newt looked at me with anger. "Minho will you state why?"

Minho stood up and said, "She is really fast and doesn't get tired easily. She is intelligent and runs to think, not because she has to, and I'm pretty sure we've all seen her fight."

"Thank you, Minho. You can have a seat. Now we all have to vote, Clint you start,"

"I'll miss her in Med-jacks, but I vote yes," Clint smiled.

"Gally," 

"No, we don't need a girl runner!" Gally snarled. I gave him the death stare and he smirked.

"Zart," 

"Yeah, she seems like the runner type," I smiled.

"Winston,"

"Yes, she can hold her own," I smiled again.

They went through the rest of the names I had six yeses and two no's. I was so happy. 

"Newt," I was so shucking nervous.

"No," I frowned. Newt got up and left.

"Newt! You can't just leave in the middle of a meeting," Alby yelled.

"Too bad, Alby! Too bad!" Newt yelled. He was pissed. He looked at me with worry before he left. Maybe he did like me. Maybe that's why he wanted me to stay. So I won't get hurt.

"Izzy," I snapped out of my thoughts to see Alby standing and smiling, "Congratulations! You are our new runner! You start tomorrow!" I jumped up and smiled. I couldn't wait till tomorrow.

A/N: Hope you guys liked it! Would you have voted Izzy for a runner or no? Hope you would've! Thanks to y'all who are reading this... Luv you guys...😘