Chapter 49

I'd finally had it. I was done with the freaking Glade and all of this crap. It's awful. I thought for hours about what to do. People would come and ask me if I was okay and I would tell them to shuck off. They would get scared and scamper away to hide. I thought about the people here: Chuck, Minho, Thomas... Newt. I thought about how they would feel if I escaped. They might be sad, but not that sad. Newt wasn't paying much attention to me anymore. He was always too busy to talk and would never talk to me anymore. 

I finally had everything planned out. When everybody was going to get food to last them through the night, I would sneak into the Runners' weapon stash and steal some. I technically wouldn't be stealing because I am a Runner, so I have access to said weapons. After that, I would straight into the Maze before anyone could stop me. Sure, it was shaky, but it would work. It had to.

For the rest of the day, I ignored everyone. Even Newt... Especially Newt. I know it was sad, but I did it for a reason. I didn't want to chicken out just because of my feelings for him. Thomas followed me one time to my spot in the Deadheads, but I was distant. I stared at the ground like someone in a nuthouse. My brother was screaming about how he was worried about me and asking what he could do to help. He got down and started shaking my shoulders and telling me to look at him. I did nothing but keep staring at the ground until he gave up and stomped off. I felt bad for doing that to him, but he can't ruin my plans. Not after what happened.

Eventually it was time, I breathed heavily to steady my nerves which worked somehow. Everyone was getting food for yet another night of one of my friends being taken. I looked from behind a tree and nobody was in my way, so I took of in a sprint to the stash of weapons. I grabbed a bunch of daggers and knives before grabbing a long spear with a rake part to push stuff away with the other end so sharp that you could barely touch it and it'll still make you bleed. I was set all I had to do is get in the Maze to kill the Grievers and use the code.

I took off in a sprint to the Maze doors, but people started rushing out to me. I stuck the rake end of the spear out to them and yelled for them to back up. Thomas and Minho were yelling at me to stop, but the only voice I heard was Newt. 

"Izzy! What are you doing?" He asked with his watery with tears.

I looked straight at him and shook my head. "Newt, I love you.. but don't make me do something I'll regret."

Everyone looked at me in shock with silence while tears rolled down my love's face and my own too. 

"I love you, Newt... Remember that." I whispered before turning my back to them and sprinting into the Maze. I cry while running with Thomas screaming and crying while he's obviously being held back. 

I'm still running while crying when I round a corner to see Grievers. I didn't expect to not see any, but I was hoping that they would go easy on me since I was alone. But nope. There were three intimidating ones whirring and clicking in front of me. They were awful. Slimy and pale colored. I wanted to puke at seeing them up close. I took a deep breath before yelling, "Come on!"

I could somehow sense that they got angry as they approached me really fast. I lunge to the side to make all three go right past me before running with them on my tail to the cliff. I had to hit the right spot or I would reach my ultimate death falling into the black abyss around the small hole. I squint to se the little glimmer, but I can barely make it out before a Griever is right behind me. I turn my spear to the rake side and push it back forcefully. It stumbles back and falls over with its technology clicking trying to figure out what happened. I push the other two back, but it's not that easy. One of the two come at me, so I pull out my knife to get an advantage when getting its cylindrical heart. I slid under it and cut it open to grab the heart. The squishy flesh doesn't help with the fact it's trying to pull me in along with my arm. I feel the part and yank it out before quickly getting out from under it so I won't get crushed. Two down, one to go. I stare at the third one that pulls out a saw that immediately starts spinning. I have a small square of time to find the right spot. I squint again and see the glimmer of the edge. I look back to see the Griever right on my tail before running and jumping into the whole.