Chapter 47

IZZY

I was sitting in the Homestead talking to Teresa when I saw Tommy and Minho come out of the West Door of the maze.

I looked to Teresa who asked, "What?"

"Thomas and Minho are back," I answered. She looked out to the West Door to see the two boys standing there panting from the running they'd been doing. Suddenly, I felt bad for leaving the maze without going through the whole thing, "I'm going to go talk to them."

She nodded, and I stood up and ran over to where Newt was already talking to them. Newt had hope in his eyes while Minho and Thomas just stood there in silence.

"Tell me you've got good news," Newt said still looking at them.

"Nothing," Minho replied, "The Maze is a big freaking joke."

My heart sank. They didn't find one shucking thing. All anyone knew was that WICKED stood for World In Catastrophe Killzone Experiment Department. Wait. Experiment? What would they be experimenting us? Maybe they wanted to see who survived the longest. Maybe they wanted to see our reactions to the world crumbling around us. I don't know, but it's on the tip of my tongue. My head hurt. It's like the memory's telling me to sleep so that I can see it. 

I shook my head because I need to focus right now. I looked over to Newt who asked, "What's he talking about?"

"He's just discouraged," Tommy answered.

"Izzy? Did you find anything?" Minho asked.

I shook my head, which made my head hurt even more, "From what I searched, no."

"What does that mean?" Tommy asked confused. 

"I remembered the code, so I left before I searched the whole thing," I answered. 

"What?" Minho asked angry, "You're our best runner! You could've found something and reported it to us!"

I got angry, "You know, I wasn't going to tell you this, but I found a shred of Cam's shirt by the cliff. That's all I found." 

Minho and Tommy stood there in shock, and I turned and stomped off to go retrieve the memory of the experiment.

I got to my spot, sat down, and drifted off to sleep to find the truth.

///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

I was sneaking down a hall with simple beige walls and white tile floor. I was following Tommy to see what he was doing. I tiptoed about ten feet behind him. He was wearing all white. That was when I figured out that he worked for WICKED. He was going to send me into the maze to be killed with those awful things called Grievers. But my question was... Why? Why would they send us in there? There has to be a reason for this. Hopefully, following Tommy would get me some answers. He turned to the right at the end of the hall and entered a room.

I peeked through the little crack that was left since he didn't close the door all the way. All that was in there was a bunch of technology. Tommy and Chancellor Ava Paige were the only people in there. I always hated Ava because she was the leader of all of this crap. It wasn't fair to the people that she sent up into the maze. Why don't we send her up in the maze? How would she like that? 

"Thomas, I'm glad you came," Ava started.

Tommy nodded, "No problem, Chancellor. What do you need?"

"Since you're immune to the Flare, I was thinking that if the test subjects don't get out in a certain amount of time, you and your fellow worker, Teresa, could go in and help them," She explained. I hated the Flare. It ruined my family. Tommy and I got lucky and got to be immune, but what did being immune to the Flare have to do with any of this?