Since when can they do that?

I remember reading a similar oneshot to this. but i don't remember by who, so if anyone knows, please let me know so i can credit the for the inspiration. either way, enjoy some magic shenanigans!

EDIT IT WAS THE STARVERSE HERMITS BY poweraph. Go check out their stories, they're awesome!

Cleo looked back and forth, trying to find her fellow hermit among the chests under his base.

"Grian?" She called, taking a few more steps into the base, its new interior glittering in the few sunbeams that floated into the room.

"Cleo!" Grian's familiar voice replied, followed by the familiar face popping up behind a row of chest, he was grinning and blushing slightly. "Whats up?"

"Uhh well." Cleo rubbed the back of her head. "I needed to ask you something, and if im as far off as i can be, please don't hate me!"

"Uh ok." Grian pulled himself over the wall of storage and gracefully floating to the ground on his elytra. "Whats up?"

"Well." Cleo took a deep breath. "IsawwhatimprettysureismagicrunesoverbyyourbardgeandIhavetoaskifyouknowmagic?"

Grian blinked, mentally slowing down what Cleo had asked. "Oh! Ok. Yeah!" Grian smiled. "I know magic, I'm not super vocal about it, but I do know it!"

Cleo looked relieved. "Thank goodness! I genuinely thought i was the only one!"

Grian's eyes went wide and he smiled. "YOU KNOW MAGIC TOO!"

"Yup!" Cleo smiled. "I mostly work with puppeteering, though i've got more than enough abjuration and necromancy practice, you?"

"Oh! Mostly general summoning and evocation!" Grian produced a book with an ominous line of runes. "Though, rune working is a lot of fun, mostly because it lets me put remote prank spells on peoples bases."

Cleo laughed. "I never thought about doing that!"

"Really?" Grian giggled. "Its like, the funniest thing to watch someone wander around trying to find the zombie horde when its acutely carved into the wall. I think Beef would smack me if I ever told him it was me though."

Cleo burst out laughing, before giving Grian a devious look. "You know what we should do?"

"...team up and pull the biggest most annoying prank in the history of the server?"

"...yes, but i was thinking we act on pokemon logic."

"How would a magic duel even work?"

"...flexing contest?"

"Sounds good to me!"

"Mining desert in three hours?"

"See you there!"

This is how cleo and Grian ended up in the desert, a rune circle carved into the little sandstone left.

"So what this for again?" Cleo asked, as Grian wove magic into the air, generating a deep black forcefield.

"So we don't blow everything up." Grian looked over his work before glancing back. "Got your army set?"

"Yup." Cleo grinned. "Got your stuff prepped?"

Grian nodded. "How do we start this?"

"Favorite Non Destructive spell? I'll go first." Cleos hands glowed a soft green. A nearby pair of armour stands creaked to life, taking a few steps forward, before beginning to waltz together. "'Puppet' will always be a favorite, I'm yet to find a more versatile spell!"