Chapter Twenty-Six

Start from the beginning

When we finally pull up to the building that used to be Caspian, we all pile onto the sidewalk, and Lyle is there waiting with ID's for us. We all scan into the building individually to make sure they work and are taken up to the third and fourth floor to unpack. Orion is placed in the room next to me and Cabe is down the hall. Two of the younger kids are also placed on this floor.

Walking around, I find the massive gym with a large open sparring area as well as this floor's open living room. Orion appears behind me, grinning like an idiot.

"Yes?" I ask him and he pulls me into a massive hug, relaxing into his grasp I see Aviva pop around a corner looking around.

"Hi Avi," I say pulling away and she gives me a smile.

"Am I interrupting?" She asks amused before her phone dings ten times.

"Do you want to take that?" Orion asks her confused and she shakes her head.

"That's my wife, being annoying as hell," Aviva says with a fake smile and I smother a laugh and leave her handling whatever it is Cathleen needs. As we all converge up on the fourth floor. The Mavericks and Ruka and Dax float in and out as the finalize where bedsheets go and the left-over furniture.

"I've been informed that within the next two weeks we will all be starting therapy. Considering only Cabe and Orion are over eighteen, they are the only ones who can decline the offer. If I am being perfectly honest, I think it is something that will only benefit this ragtag group of metahumans. Within the next month, all of us will be starting school online, and if it seems like a viable option, we will be enrolled in the fall at the high school and middle school Ruka has contacts with," I say rattling off the information, checking my emails I know I am forgetting something.

"Are we responsible for cooking?" Someone asks and I shake my head.

"No, but if you would like to learn the chef that has been hired would love nothing more than to have help," I say with a smile. It's insane how many steps the Mavericks are taking to give these kids everything they never had.

Rattling off how the team will come in and work with us on our abilities and be our allies, I can see the anxiety in all of their eyes. Everything is so new and so different, and trust has not been earned yet.

"Also, I will not be taking up permanent residence in this building. I will be going between here and my foster parents' apartment but Orion and Cabe will be living here so if you need anyone, reach out to them," I say and Ruka walks in with a box of new flip phones, already programmed with most of our numbers. She hands them out and tries to let people choose colors.

Spacing out for a moment, I hear something and realize it is coming from Cabe. Closing my eyes, I crank up my earpiece and hear his heart beating irregularly for a few moments before slowly returning to normal. Opening my eyes, he gives me a confused look and I realize that he looks even thinner than before.

"Aviva," I call out as I see her walking past and I dart out of the room.

"What's wrong?" She asks me and I grab her hand and pull her down the hall and into the stairwell.

"I need a big favor," I say seriously, and she looks concerned.

"What's wrong? Is the building not what you were expecting?" She asks sadly and I hear footsteps and peer over the railing to see Alexander climbing the steps, just the other person I needed.

"Cabe's health is failing," I say seriously and they both look startled.

"What?"

"His enhancements are modeled after Alexander, there isn't a doubt in my mind. But they are quite literally draining him of his life," I say quietly, and they lean closer.

"What do you need us to do?" Aviva asks confused and concerned.

"I'm afraid he will die without them, all of our bodies become dependent on them to a certain extent. Is there anything you geniuses can figure out to give him a better quality of life? He doesn't need to go and become a big superhero, but I want him to be healthy," I say genuinely, and Aviva pulls me into a hug.

"I don't even know where to begin," she admits quietly to me.

"Start with what he has, I can get you part of the schematics," I say, and she pulls back and holds me at arm's length.

"I thought everything was destroyed or redacted," she says seriously, and I give a small smirk. Pulling out my smartphone, I access the encrypted drive that the doc kept all of our files on, emailing Avi a copy of the documents she looks floored.

"Faith, where the hell did you get these?" She asks me and Alexander takes her phone and looks them over.

"I plan on deleting the plans for anyone who died, and all of the failed plans. Things like those shouldn't exist, but I found a very strange set of numbers and letters written on my ribs one time and I memorized it, it led me to the plans," I say seriously and Aviva nods.

"Well Xander's mother trusted you with them for a reason, we can start looking this over tomorrow and trying to game plan something. I really wish we had a bio-medical engineer or something who could help us," Avi says slightly stressed and I swear Alexander flinches. That's odd.

"I'll put in some calls and see if there is anyone, we can trust with this," Alexander says before heading inside. Aviva watches him walk away and I observe her face, I can see the gears grinding in her head. But I can't figure out if she's deciphering her best friend or the problem I just presented her with.

"Let's head back in," she says quietly, and I follow her.