52| Submission To The Flame

Cloud's feet carry him to the ground floor, heading towards the automatic doors with haste in his stride.

His intentions are the opposite of pure as he prepares himself to catch up to the people he deems responsible for everything wrong with this town.

It's time for the Church of Babylon to know what true fear is, and who better to deliver that lesson than the proposed antichrist himself?

A Morningstar.

They must have known. Why else would they have gone through all of this trouble in the first place if they didn't believe him to be evil incarnate?

"Cloud where are you going? You're injured?" Sky utters, happening to catch sight of him on his way past reception. "Wait, stop, look at me."

They say everyone has their limits, each of us having the capacity to be the monster in someone else's fairytale, and unfortunately for everything in his nearby vicinity, Cloud has almost reached the end of his tether.

"Hey, look at me." she tries, using a softer tone but still having no idea what she's getting herself into.

Usually for Cloud there are other forces at play that can bring him back from the point of no return. His friends, his parents, Sky.

But now, not even her voice is enough to reach him in his stoic trance.

He looks through her, his eyes bloodshot and vacant with a storm brewing just beneath the surface.

She reaches for his hand but they both flinch away once her fingers brush against his, especially that one with the Flamestone ring.

"Cloud, you're burning up." she whispers, careful to not raise her voice loud enough for anyone to overhear.

He doesn't say anything but she notices the bubbling water inside the water cooler on this floor and how all the flowers are starting to brown.

She squeezes her lips together, meeting his eyes, understanding in that moment that nothing in this world, not even her, will be able to stop his plans, whatever they may be.

He whispers in a raspy voice, nodding his head after each word as he gets the words out. "Stop...me?"

She feels sick, her heart knocking against her chest; knowing that it isn't a question of if she will, but a threat.

Don't.

Sky presses her tongue against the back of her teeth as she lowers her gaze. Even when she reminds herself that this isn't about, it doesn't make it hurt any less.

That look...well that look could kill.

Cloud rolls his eyes towards the ceiling, fighting back tears as he stumbles his way through the crowds.

When the automatic doors open, he doesn't even flinch at the rain, starting his journey into the night with revenge on his mind.

As soon as his eyes lock onto the Red Cloaks, that's it, game set, he starts picking up speed until he becomes a blur chasing after seven fleeing vehicles.

His eyes shift repeatedly, bouncing back from green to amber every time he blinks until his barely contained rage corrupts him further.

When the rain hits his clothing it makes sizzling sounds, leaving behind a faint trail of mist whilst the ring on his finger burns a ghostly looking blue that mimics the colour his eyes eventually settle on.

He first tapped into Hellfire barely a month ago in the Olympia, and then again only two days ago, but those times he was merely skimming the surface, barely even recognising what he was doing.