24| Chaos Walking

Waking up with the metal objects in her room floating in the air is not how Sammy imagined she would wake up on her eighteenth birthday.

It's been happening ever since she was awakened to her dormant abilities, experiencing the same nightmare of her father being taken away every night for the last four weeks.

It hurts more knowing that once she wakes up the dream becomes her reality, the played out nightmare simply a reenactment of the true events she was forced to live through.

"Happy Birthday Sam Sam." he'd say to her every morning on her special day, her natural locks growing longer each year until they eventually reached all the way down her back.

She got her dark eyes from him, remembering how his sparkled whenever he cast them upon his family, and unlike her twin sisters Sarah and Summer, she also inherited his dark hair.

Sammy jolts up in bed, looking all around the room as her belongings hit the ceiling, pinching one of her pens out of the air that floats just above her bed before detailing the events into her journal.

"Unconscious Metal levitation, inability to affect non-metals, ability to manipulate and reshape metals...what was that other thing again?" she tries to remember her next bullet point but after a while gives up.

Sammy uses quick spells to return each item back to their original places, having spent the most time practising her manipulation over metallic objects after discovering she's gifted in that area of channelling.

Once she walks into the bathroom, she immediately washes her face with freezing water, only noticing her silver glowing irises once she looks at her reflection in the mirror.

She grabs her phone, rummaging through the criminal amount of products covering her side, taking a few shots to document them before moving the originals onto her cloud drive.

A knock on the door makes Sammy's heart jump and when she twists around to look at the door, she accidentally causes a can of spray to tip off the side.

"Crap!" she hisses, reaching out for the can but not moving fast enough to stop it from rattling on the ground.

Sammy's mother, Susan, presses her ear against the closed bathroom door. "Samantha, is everything alright in there?"

"Yeah, I just dropped something." she replies, squinting her eyes at the door, willing it to remain closed.

After what feels like five minutes of silence, Sammy hears her mother giggle, combing a strand of her thin blonde hair behind her ear. "You've always been so clumsy Samantha, you need to be more careful...breakfast in five, ok?"

Sammy hears footsteps and the sound of a door closing before she can relax but even after releasing the breath of air, the weight on her shoulders makes her bones stiff.

She has a shower, puts on her father's hunter-green jumper and pairs it with a pair of Khaki jeans before slinking down the stairs to have breakfast with her younger sister, finding them already eating.

Their bowls barely have any milk in them since they are starting to run out and the breakfast in the bowl bores Sammy's taste buds.

They've been eating the same thing for months and the sight of the no-brand box is a stain in the Donovan household; constantly being replaced by a new one as soon as it even starts to fade.

Susan walks into the room with a plate in one hand and a mug in the other, placing the plate in front of Sammy to reveal a cut piece of cake with pink icing, sprinkles, and a single blue and yellow candle recycled four years in a row.

Her mother takes her seat at the head of the table, the seat opposite empty.

"What is this?"

"A cake, duh." Summer tilts her head, her long blonde hair styled identically to Sarah's in a tidy braid.