58| Submission To The Flame

Esme saunters into the Monastery for the first time in a decade, immediately tasting the stale air that once smelt like fresh flowers, tearing up at the sight of the familiar light brick walls and the intricate carvings of lotus flowers carved into them.

She'd had artists back home attempt to replicate the designs but they were never as perfect as she could see in her mind's eye. She feels the same sensation of loss stroking them now, summing it up to child nostalgia and gradual erosion from being uncared for all these years.

It's been a week since she moved the Monks back to the Monastery so she didn't expect them to clean up, especially with the weather acting up, but the dust in some parts of the structure coats the surfaces in a thick coat of grey.

She walks on the outsides of the courtyard leading up to the temple, avoiding the snow by taking the designated walkways, thinking back on the times they would gather underneath the exposed ceiling in the centre and dance whether it was snowing or not.

The men, women and children that once lived here had an easier time than most dealing with the extreme cold thanks to the fires that burnt inside each of them. The other Initials must have thought them crazy to choose to live here but then none of them would ever get to enjoy the true beauty of snow.

The smile on Esme's face dwindles, picking up speed, now fuelled with the desire to return this place to its former glory after a long week of dealing with people who are more interested in her ability to produce an heir and pick a husband.

For now she doesn't see herself having any children but the latter she is not opposed to. Ruling with someone by her side to the end has always been an appealing idea but the trusting part, that has always been the hardest hurdle to leap over.

She stops reminiscing about the past for a moment, walking towards one of the smaller buildings on the west side of the Monastery, walking into a dark room where she can vaguely make out the silhouette of a shrine.

"Et erit lux." Esme whispers the enchantment, setting each of the candles surrounding the shrine on fire which bathes the room in an amber hue. Her shadow casts across the wall as she gracefully strides towards the shrine.

She falls to her knees before the shrine, carefully adjusting the thin blue scarf covering her head, sitting in silence for three minutes before letting go of the golden urn sitting in her lap. "May your soul rest in creation...I'm miss you so much dad, I-"

The door creaks open wider and the tall shadow of the man continues to grow as he approaches the shrine, cutting Esme's moment to grieve short.

Ali waits for permission to stand alongside her, keeping his perfect posture as he helps her to her feet by offering his hand. "Please, continue my Queen."

"Crying in front of my Grandmaster? What would the Ladies and Lords of my court think if they found out?" she scoffs, going to wipe away her tears, her eyes widening once he pulls her hand back.

"If they were wise then your compassion would be valued as a strength, and not a weakness." he replies, gently tipping her chin higher.

"I see the new role is fitting you nicely."

Ali's right brow twitches at the complement. "I am undeserving of your praise, truly. The boy..."

"Yes, Cloud Jefferson, where is he? Has he made any progress?"

"No."

"So he's dying then?"

"Also, no."

Esme squints her eyes, wondering what exactly went on during her week of absence. "I'll go to see him now. Is he in the temple?"