51| Submission To The Flame

Cloud stops scrunching his face once Rachel stops wailing, catching a glimpse of Freya's giant wings as she is blasted out of a nearby window.

Dinah Pope leaps back once the girl hits the ground harder than a bag of luggage, her eyes widening as she looks over at Cillian Black who simply stares up at the night sky.

"What was that scream?" she inquires, walking around Cillian once Freya begins to stir.

"There's an old Irish Folklore of a weeping woman whose piercing screams were a warning of death."

"Irish Folklore?" Dinah scoffs quietly, swiping away the bouncy curl glued to her forehead before tucking her hands safely away in her pockets. "I must have missed the class."

"We just heard the scream of a Banshee." he replies, tilting his head towards Freya with a hint of a smile on his lips.

He acknowledges that he has pushed his Fury to her limit and can't risk sending her back into the fight but he is proud to say that she and her growing powers have proven themselves worthy of his time.

Cillian lazily kicks her with the side of his shiny black shoe, ignoring the look of shocks etched into her face. "Get up!"

Although the invisible chains bind her to his command, her body cannot physically react when her mind threatens to shatter.

The hollowness inside of her returns, each breath feeling more and more like a burden as everything she felt only moments ago is washed away in his company.

In its place regret fills her and it's his need for revenge that keeps her suspended in this state of in-between.

In the end only the faint memories of the nothingness after existing is what she yearns for. Not quite the memories of not existing but the missing time. The nothingness. Nothing to be chained to. Nothing to fear. No pain. No memories.

The clouds release a slow drizzle, forcing her to close her eyes as the rain slides down the bridge of her nose.

Behind her closed eyes a new memory burns itself into her mind. Green eyes. His green eyes.

"Why didn't I end the suffering?"

She looks up when the rain suddenly stops pelting down on her, wondering if she should say something when she realises Cillian Black is holding an umbrella over her.

Dinah points out the deterioration of the barrier, watching as small tears in the forcefield grow into holes like cigarette burns. "What's going on in there?"

For the first time ever, Freya catches a flicker of something in Cillian's eyes. It's an emotion she's seen so often but never, ever, from him.

Fear!

"Something wicked this way comes." he mutters, finding it hard to swallow as he treads back to his car whilst continuously looking over his shoulder.

Meanwhile, Cloud's eyes twitch from person to person as the effects of the time stop begin to wear off. Chaos ensues as an all hands on deck evacuation is put into motion!

From the looks of things, there isn't a single floor that Hunter and Freya's fight didn't touch, ranging from cracks and dents in the walls to entire rooms being completely destroyed!

It's no longer safe to be here, that's for certain but Cloud forgets about his own wellbeing as he rushes back to his mother's room.

He licks his lips nervously as he makes it back to the floor that was once so quiet it actually hurt his head.

He misses it, his ears ringing now that the floor is bustling with energy as nurses and doctors swarm from room to room like buzzing bees.

He doesn't even make it across the corridor before he spots Jonathan standing outside the room with his head in his hands, standing in the doorway at something that he can't see from this angle.