14

After the pregnancy incident

After the pregnancy incident ... Sam and Jake came to an agreement that the packs were allies , so of course they all ended up back at sam's cracking jokes and being their usual goofy selves . But today was no ordinary day. It marked the one year anniversary of Renae and Grayson Bennett's deaths . Before the girl had woken up the boys were sitting round the table until Sam came in solemnly with Paul .
" hey ... guys ... today isn't gonna be the usual ... it's about Layla "
At the mention of the witch they all had come to love all of the pairs of ears in the room perked up ... but one more than others .
As Paul small Sam explained that it was the one year anniversary of her parents death the boys hung their heads . Sad for their friend .

At noon Layla finally found the will to drag herself out of bed . As she got herself ready and put on minimal makeup she trudged downstairs at which everything went silent . As she entered the room she didn't once utter a word . She simply grabbed her bag and headed out of the door .

After she finally reached the cemetery after a long walk she pulled the roses out of her bag and a small tear fell down her cheek as she reached their stone .
"Renae Bennett , a loving mother , Grayson Bennett , a caring father , parents carried by wings of angels and reunited in heaven "
As she pulled the roses out she kissed the top of each one and lay the ice blue coloured roses down on the grass next to their gravestones . As the snow began to fall she touched the stone and more tears fell from her eyes .
Suddenly she felt a warm hand on her shoulder  .
As she looked up she saw the familiar face of her best friend . For her parents had been more like parents to him than his dad had ever been . As Paul pulled her up he grabbed her cold hand and squeezed it reassuringly .
" Layla ... I know you put a stone in here but their ashes are at sam's ... why ?"
" I never told anyone that I buried two empty coffins because I - I was scared to let them go .... my mum always said she wanted to be cremated and have her ashes thrown into the ocean . My dad wanted whatever she wanted . But I - whenever I thought about letting those ashes go ... I - I just couldn't bring myself to do it . I'm sorry I didn't tell you . "
The girl said sobbing as Paul wrapped his warm arms around her and they stared at the stone with their engraved names on as they reminisced of all the picnics at the beach ... and all of the times he had slept over ... it all came flooding back for the two of them . Embry had wanted to come and see her but everyone knew that her and the Lahote boy understood eachother when it came to her parents ... for they had been like his too . They needed this .

As the two pulled up to Sam and Emily's hours later in Paul's truck the boys came out of the house to see the two . As she got out of the car she was pulled into a hug ... by the closest person she had to a brother ... Jake .
" you doing okay lay?"
" not really jakey "
" they love you "
As she sniffles and began to cry again he tightened his grip on her as the boys watched on in sadness .
After hugging each of them she finally reached the one person she needed . As she broke down he held onto her and rubbed her back as his heart broke even more with every tear. Layla gripped onto embry as If he was her lifeline and the boys walked inside ... giving them their privacy .
As he brought her face up to look at him he wiped her tears and gave her a sad smile
" what do you need ?"
"I - I wanna do something ... get the boys to go to the beach with us ?"
She said as he nodded confused but doing whatever she asked of him.

As the pack and Layla stood on the beach as well as Emily and Billy she unscrewed the lid of the earns , one for her mother , one for her father . As she stood on a rock which went quite far out she muttered
" I love you mum"
As she let the ashes fall into the sea below her and be swept away by the waves.
As she then said
" I love you dad "
And did the same .
As she finished she walked back and stood with  everyone else on the beach as embry wrapped his arms around her and Paul gave her arm a comforting rub, as did Jake .
The call boy whispered in her ear
" I'm proud of you ... and I know they are too "
She nodded and he wiped her tear away as they stood looking out at the ocean . The Bennett's were free .