9

"Morning guys how's it go-"She stopped talking in the chipper tone as soon as she noticed that they had sullen , down turned looks adorning their usually happy excitable faces

She stopped talking in the chipper tone as soon as she noticed that they had sullen , down turned looks adorning their usually happy excitable faces .
  "Guys what's going on ?!"
She asked alarmed as Sam pulled his chair out which made the girl jump but he handed her an envelope addressed to her .

   "Guys what's going on ?!"She asked alarmed as Sam pulled his chair out which made the girl jump but he handed her an envelope addressed to her

"Well that's news to me ... it says she wants me to be a bridesmaid ... but wait where's Jake ?"
She asked realising one of the boys was missing and concern flashed in her eyes
" he's gone "
Paul muttered
" gone? gone where ?"
She asked worriedly
" we don't know , chased him all the way to the Canadian border last night "
Jared added in as she nodded sorrowfully and turned and walked into the kitchen so that she didn't have to face any of the boys .
After she helped Emily clean the kitchen she walked into the room with the boys whom were trying to entertain themselves. Jake being embry's best friend , it seemed he was struggling more than most .
" hey ... wanna take a walk "
She said placing her hands on his bare shoulders as he jumped , not realising she was there as he put his warm hand over her small one and nodded
" I think that would be nice "

As the two walked hand in hand on the beach he muttered under his breath and cursed
" hey ... embry ... wanna talk about it ... are you okay ?"
She asked apprehensively
" no I'm not okay everything's going wrong !!! "
He snapped as she flinched
" embry I'm trying to help please don't push me away "
" I don't want your help Layla get lost !!!!"
He snapped again as she got nervous he was gonna phase as she turned invisible to protect herself
" Layla ... I'm sorry I don't know what came over me baby please I'm so sorry "
He said quietly , but the girl had already gone

As she stepped back into sam's with a tear stricken face multiple heads snapped up to look in her direction as she tried her best to hold back the tears that threatened to fall .
There was only one person who she needed right now , her hothead best friend .
As he stood up worried and angry and seeing her without embry he knew he was at fault ,she walked over and began silently crying in his arms as he rubbed her back and scooped her up as he took her upstairs into her room.

" wanna tell me what dickwad has done ?"
He said getting angrier by the minute
" well you know when we went for a walk "
He nodded wanting her to continue
" it was silent and he was muttering and swearing so I asked him if he was okay and If he wanted to talk about it and he just snapped . Told me he didn't want my help and he wanted me to get lost . So I did my little magical disappearing act on him and I left "
She said as she held her hand up to her mouth to muffle her cries
" okay so embry is going to get hell from me ... but first I need to make sure your okay "
Paul's calming voice made her breathing slow down as she said
" I love you Paul"
She said , of course those words hurt him but , he had accepted the universe didn't choose them to be together ... but he still loved her , but he knew he couldn't have her
" I love you too shortie "
He said quoting their childhood nickname

After Layla had fell asleep Paul covered her up and tucked her in and then he only had two things on his mind , anger and embry . Just as Paul came downstairs in walked a guilty looking embry call . Before anyone could stop him Paul lunged for Embry as the boy looked shocked as a punch was planted on his jaw . Letting him do it he said
" do it again ... I deserve it "
At that the Lahote boy dragged him outside as the pack winced .
" do you even know why that hurt her so much ... no you don't ... well here you go ... the night her parents died she had an argument with them ... they told her to get lost in the heat of the moment ... so she bolted and when she came back she saw Victoria ripping them apart ... that was the last fucking thing they said call!!! Do you understand that ... it's like putting a burning dagger right through her heart . "
At that the Call boy began to sob
" I'm sorry man it's just , she's my best friend , and you know I love her , in the same way you do , but she belongs with you and no matter what I do I can't change that . So I will damn well see through that she is happy . Fix it . Now "
He ordered as embry nodded with tears streaming as he bolted upstairs into her bedroom. The door opening with such force woke her up and she woke up scared . Thinking he was gonna hurt her she threw him back with her hand not knowing what he was gonna do , it was an instinct more than anything . As he whimpered and winced she realised what she had done as she let her hand down and she said
" I'm sorry embry I didn't know that was you I- I wouldn't hurt you with my magic "
She said worriedly as he looked relieved she was even speaking to him as he flung his sobbing frame at her petite one as he muttered
" I'm sorry "
Over and over again as she shushed him gently and rocked him side to side, whilst rubbing comforting circles into his back .
" god I'm sorry I'm crying I - I never cry "
He said truthfully and embarrassed as she pulled his face to hers and said
"Embry ... everyone cries "
As she then teared up herself and turned to her window to look out and calm herself down .
" please talk to me Layla please I'll do anything "
He begged as she hunched over a little with small sobs
" Paul told you "
She muttered
He muttered
" yeah he did "
" well embry I've had to learn this the hard way ... I don't deserve love ... I don't deserve you ... because I had the strongest bond with my family and over a stupid argument i walked out ... and then they were dead ... their last words to me were repeated to me tonight ... by the person I love most on this earth . And then it hit me ... I didn't even tell them I loved them before i left ... and they were ripped to pieces in front of me . That sight will never go away . I'm supposed to be the strongest witch of our generation and I'm scared of my own shadow . I'm scared of my magic . They used it and they still got ripped to shreds . I'm scared embry ... I'm scared all the time .
Scared your gonna leave like everyone else does ... scared Paul might get sick of being my best friend ... scared that the pack might kick me out like my coven kicked me out after my parents death ... scared of myself "
She finished as she sunk to the floor whimpering and crying as her body gave out .
He began to spring into action as he sunk beside her and pulled her onto his lap . After an hour of her heartbroken sobs she finally looked up at him .
" please don't leave me "
She whimpered in a voice so weak he could have swore he heard his heart crack in two . 
" I promise Layla I'm never gonna leave you ... I love you more than I can put into words ... I love your little moods and your little freckles on your left cheek , I love when you comfort me and I love when we laugh . I love every second with you . I finally feel alive with you . I'm always gonna protect you . I'm not going anywhere "
He said looking into her brown eyes as she looked back into his .
As she pulled his neck towards her she let their lips meet as she kissed him softly and he kissed her back more passionately as she met his pace and he let his hands hold her waist .
The rest of the night was filled with confessions of love and kisses .