xlii. the dead returns

Start from the beginning

Focused entirely on her steps — trying desperately to keep herself coordinated — Vera doesn't notice the back she rams her head into, and lets out a soft 'oomph' at the impact, causing her to stagger back and nearly fall on her butt, shrieking surprisingly. Landing on her arse, Vera lets out another grunt and scowls annoyingly at the laugh Legolas throws her way.

Offering a hand, he flashes her a mischievous smirk, bowing courteously so she could grab his hand. Believing to push her up to her feet and help her, Legolas smirks egoistically but widens his eyes as Vera purposefully yanks the boy down harder, resulting in his head landing on the ground ungracefully and rolling overhead in an attempt to land on his feet diligently, positioning himself in a crouched stand with an irritable look. Meanwhile, Vera brushes her hands over her dress to clean herself from the dirt — but fails to do so as the damp mud on her bum side stays persistent to stain on her only clothing — with a triumphant smile and a cheery expression.

"Oops."

"Shut it."

"Arguing like an old married couple already?"

"Say one more word—" Vera threatens, whirling dangerously fast towards Gimli with a murderous glare emitting much-feigned annoyance in her eyes. Gimli shuffles nervously.

However, Vera is interrupted as Legolas swiftly stands with lightning-quick movement and darts towards one area of the trees with urgency in his eye. "Aragorn, nad nâ ennas!" he warns in his native tongue, exchanging looks with Aragorn. Vera and Gimli share confused glances before rolling their eyes in unison and marching onwards to reach them.

"Man cenich?" Aragorn asks in return, and Vera and Gimli sigh in exasperation.

"Some translation would be nice," Vera mumbles.

Legolas and Aragorn ignore the girl, keeping their eyes trained ahead of them. "The white wizard approaches," Legolas quietly informs the rest of his companions, leaving them to ponder his statement with mixed emotions of anger and fear. Vera falters in her steps slightly. They suddenly feel the gravity and the atmosphere around them grow heavy with the burden of the news.

Vera doesn't properly let her mind work, acting instinctively, as she grabs her daggers carefully. Aragorn whispers slowly, "Do not let him speak. He will put a spell on us." Complying with his order with the knowledge that her whole survival depended on it, she readies herself with a tighter grip on her daggers and her senses perking up consequently to her guarded behavior.

"We must be quick," Aragorn says. In moments, they prepare for the White Wizard's approach, their hearts thundering as the time passes significantly fast.

Vera's features zero in, leaving her extremely sensitive to her surroundings and the footsteps approaching them at a fast pace. The drumming of her heart increases as her ears pick up on the trail.

Consequently, her feä hardens slightly at the feel of yet another being coming towards them, leaving the poor spirit — who has admittedly gone through a great deal since its departure from the sea — to guard itself defensively. Vera reciprocated the feeling, having her own protective stance to keep herself safe. Her dark orbs flicker to Legolas' tall form, feeling the slight shift in her feä — a feeling that she has never experienced before — that brought it to a comfortable state. Vera could only guess that his own feä had something to do with it as he slightly hovers his body over her.

Then time comes out from its momentary pause. In one swift moment, Vera is throwing her dagger first into the air, aiming directly at the bright light that appears to stand atop a rock but frowns as the man dodges it just as swiftly. Her dagger is followed by an axe and an arrow, both of which were zeroed in dangerously close to the Wizard but still managed to be deflected. Picking up another dagger, Vera goes to throw it once more in an effort to finish the Wizard off but her hands start to burn as the metal flames with heat, causing her to cry out in pain and drop it while cradling her arm closely.