52 | The Bones of a Tyrannical Murderer | Part 2

⚠️
The following chapter may be upsetting for some readers
⚠️

It had been a year since the man was murdered.

The mutilated body had been found by the mans wife, a petite women who had gone to wake him that morning.

The murderer was never found, but there were rumors.

Though it had weighed heavily on Nico at first, the guilt slowly washed away as he continued to work for Reginald, acting as his dog.

Currently he was sitting in Reginalds office on a padded leather couch, fiddling a small blade in his hands.

"You look restless." Reginald turned in his chair. "Want something to do?"

The Manor in which Reginald lived was one that stuck out like a sore thumb. The towering columns that surrounded the entrance made it seem taller than it actually was, and the inside was drenched in money, making Nico feel often out of place.

Nico breathed out. "I want the man who murdered my sister."

Reginald snickered. "Always wanting what's beyond your reach." The man turned his gaze back to the papers on his desk. "We don't even know who it was Nico. We can't kill a man who doesn't exist."

Nico's temper flares "He does exist."

A few moments pass and Nico shuts his eyes, forcing away the rising fury. "Forget it. Give me something to do."

Reginald thinks for a moment before speaking. "I don't have anything fun to do but I do need someone to watch my boy while I'm out of town."

Nico rolls his eyes, his mind taken away from his sister. "The brat?"

Reginald sighs, "He's difficult yes, and spoiled, but after our separation from the local ship company he's become a target."

"You think they'd take him ransom and try to cut a deal?"

"Most likely. Their childish behavior is part of the reason we cut ties. I just need the boy looked after until I can take care of things."

"I understand." Nico rises from his seat. "Where is he?"

"The Nightshade... probably."

🔱

Nico swings open the rusty doors and scans the room.

The hall is busy as per usual, the people sing , the people dance, and the people never look him in the eye.

He sees the boy at the bar, chatting up a beautiful young lady.

"Octavian." Nico is stern.

The boy whips his head around but ducks when he locks eyes with Nico.

Nico strides closer and puts a hand on the boys shoulder. "You're not keeping Zoë from her job are you?"

Octavian grumbles, turning his face away. "No."

Nico slowly pulls out a barstool and sits down next to him.

Zoë is drying a whiskey glass when Nico catches her eye. "Hey sweetheart, I haven't seen you in awhile, where have you been?"