47 - Demon

"Kill him."

It whispered in his ear, beckoning the deep wrath in his heart.

The physical changes in Leo were little, sand stuck to the side of his face, a mop of curly hair was plastered to his forehead with sweat. He spoke normally and his body was still holding together. Everything was particularly normal, except that the air around them that had previously been sweltering, was now fogging their breath.

Rafael could feel the tightening in his chest. The ticking in his brain had started to tick faster, racing with the beat of his heart.

The same presence he felt when his father fell from glory, the presence of a demon.

Rafael had seen his father search for the immortal sword before unleashing it's doom upon his people. He saw the demon that had emerged from the Imperium stone. He saw it swallow his father from the inside out. He remembered who found the arrowhead.

Leo's tears had dried to his face, crusty black rivers on his skin. He wiped them away with the back of his hand.

He rolled his shoulders back, straightening his posture and taking a deep breath. "I'm okay." Leo cracked his neck. "It went away."

Rafael still had the knife gripped in his hand, he lifted it, pointing it at Leo, "Do not try to trick me demon, I know your schemes."

Leo cocked his head, "I don't understand? What are talking about?"

The hairs stood up on Rafael's arm.

"Stay back!" Rafael gestured wildly with his knife.

Leo cocked his head, a smile spreading across his face, "You said you wanted Revocatus. I can't let you take it."

Leo rushed Rafael with tremendous speed, matching that of flying bullet. He grasped Rafael's wrist and swung him around, sending him crashing into a nearby tree.

You could hear the bones breaking when Rafael's body wrapped around the tree. He landed on the ground with a thump, a stifled cry of pain echoing up from his throat.

Again Leo rushed him.

This time Rafael fled. He picked himself off the ground and started sprinting, ignoring the searing pain in his side. He took a chance and glanced behind him.

He skidded to halt. Where was he? Rafael whipped his head around, searching the woods in a panic. Had there always been this many trees?

Suddenly the woods had gone silent. Rafael turned towards the deepening forest. Leo was standing there silently, his eyes peering at the golden armor. "It's so pretty."

Rafael hunched over, his hand pressed against his waist.

"What's that?" Leo pointed to Rafael.

"It's our kingdoms crest."

"Hmm..." Leo cocked his head and shot forward.

A clash of bodies. It sliced through his skin, tearing open his chest. He gasped in shock. The bone carved blade pushed against him, sending Leo tumbling onto the ground.

"Nice to meet you," Di'Angelo pushed his hat out of his face with the tip of his blade. "I've been waiting for this moment... demon."

☠️

Enjoying the new chapters?