Peanut Butter And Jealousy

Start from the beginning

I trudge up the steps, attempting to use my nose to decipher who or what exactly I will have to handle today, but only get back the two usual scents encased in the house. One smelling of the sun and honey, the other of  pine and leather.

I reach the door but before I can knock, James opens it with a panicked expression on his face, quickly making my hackles rise and my focus sharpen.

   "What's wrong?" I ask immediately, trying to figure out what was going on to change my stoic best friend into a scared piece of shit.

   "Cody's heat is going to start at any minute, James!" He whisper shouts, clear panic in his voice. "I forgot to get peanut butter. We're out of peanut butter! Oh shit. Oh fuck." I halt in my tracks staring at James in clear disbelief and rising annoyance. I feel Tobias snicker at my expression.

  "You called me back from run to get peanut butter for your Mate?!" I ask trying to get him to see the  in his actions, but of course when it comes to his Cody he remains oblivious to everyone but him.

   "Yes! Alex you know if I leave him so close to our Monthly, my sweet little bean with kill me and then use my body as a dildo!!" His obvious distress and fear of his little mate is enough to quell my annoyance in place of amusement dispute the pang if longing and jealousy that arises in my chest.

     Before wolves find their Mate, every wolf goes through the same hormonal fuck up as every other species, though of course each is unique. Top/Dominant wolves enter their Rut, where, whether male or female, the wolves  become extremely aggressive towards Mated wolves and their chest aches to the point of some wolves trying to scratch the pain away, though the wounds heal within minutes. This aggression stems from jealousy of not having their own little bean to cherish and love.

   In contrast, Submissive/Bottom wolves, regardless of gender, gets super shy and anxious to the point where a raised voice from a superior wolf in status can cause a thirty minute panic attack. Their monthly heartthrob is called their Heat. Which is why we convince all our submissive wolves to let the Alpha and I know when they're close so we don't slip up and hurt the sensitive wolves.

   Everything changes when they find their Mate, however. The two wolves' monthly hormonal crisis is linked up to the same five days of the month, synching to each other. The Heat changes from anxious episodes to an unwieldy thirst to have constant sex and contact from their dominant wolf. Without their Mate around they can be driven to fever, hallucinations and depressive episodes since only their Mate can sooth the fiery ache that settles throughout their body. Any others touch brings them unimaginable pain. And of course the Dominant wolf in their respective Rut becomes extremely possessive towards their Mate and the only thing they can think about is fucking them until they're covered in their scent. The smell of their arousal and love distracts them from anything else for the five days as well as the days leading up to it. Together this is called entering their Reach.

   Tobias is annoyed at James for different reasons than I am for calling us here for unnecessary help. 'What? Did he call us here so he can throw it in our face that we don't have our Mate? He an ungrateful shit.' Tobias growls lowly, his words almost makes the growl echo in my own chest.

   'You know that's not what it is, Toby.' I answer trying to use the nickname as a distraction from his anger that barely shields his pain. He snarls at me whether in defiance of my claim or the misuse of his name, but nonetheless he slips into the back of my mind and settles down.

   "Please, Alex. You know I can't leave him here by himself. I'll alleviate you of your duties as acting Alpha and as Beta after our Reach and let you take a couple days off. Please." I sigh in response, unable to ignore his pleading expression and the growing whimpers that escapes from the house through the door, causing James to unconsciously inch back towards his Mate.

  "Fine." I begrudgingly concede. "I'll get your stupid peanut butter, but only for Cody. Fuck you James."

   James smiles, obviously too relived to care about my obvious dislike for him at the moment. "Thank you so much!" He exclaims, already closing the door to get back to his whining bean whose whines have turned into soft moans. I grunt in response and watch as the door closes hearing shuffling of clothes being abandoned and a growled, " I'm coming, baby." That earns a whiny moan in response that I try to respectfully ignore.

   I swallow my jealously and the pain crawling up my throat as I turn to head into town and think about getting a pizza as I remember my way to the closet store.

~~~~~~~~~

Who would you rather be? A vampire or werewolf. Which hormonal shift would you rather deal with.

Thoughts?

Comments?

QOTD: What's your favorite flower?