Chapter 4: Bird shooter

Start from the beginning

At that, two birds that were shot with a single red arrow came down at once.

Everyone in the martial arts field gasped in awe at the last shot fired. The pair were indeed worthy of being called the top archer in the school. The shots were not easy since they had to finish the moving birds and speed was key to success. Lanwangji's shots were perfectly executed. Yuxian's was even more so, and adding a surprising twist that shocked everyone present. Some had heard of the curved arrow trick but no one had seen that materialize before. 

These two boys possesed skills superior the rest of the pack. The teachers were whispering and nodding to eachother.

Lanzhan stared at the two dead birds sandwiched together by a single arrow. How was this shot even possible?!? How could the arrow curve? Weiying even tossed the bow right after like it was nothing. It was the bow belonging to Yubin and his archery skills were nothing to be bragged about according to Lanzhan's standards. Lanzhan examined how the arrow pierced the two birds at once and could not help but be in awe of his rival.

"Lanzhan, why are you staring so intently at the dead birds, are you hungry? you want to barbeque them and eat them together?" Yuxian asked him jokingly.

What a guy!

He even had such nonchalant attitude toward winning. Lanzhan gave him a glare then tossed the arrow to the ground before leaving. Lanzhan knew it in his heart that if he had won, he would wear it in his face with arrogance thus it was without question that the defeat was a big blow to his pride.

Yuxian was not even proud or gave him any condescending attitude after such a glorious victory.

He just treated it casually like it was nothing.

Lanzhan's emotions were a mix between rage and shame. He has lived seventeen years of his life within the comfort of the lap of luxury and his father's protection but that very day, his view of the world would change. That night, Lanzhan stayed at the practice range.

"Young master, we should head back it's getting late." His trusted servant Jiangsu said. It was past dinner time and he was getting hungry.

"If you're tired you go back first." Lanzhan said without looking at him.

How could he go back without his young master? His old master will definitely scold him for that. Jiangsu could only grumble silently and sat waiting for his young master.

"On second thought Jiangsu, lend me your bow."

"Whaat?!? Young master, my bow is just a lowly bow made with regular materials unlike your pristine bow that was crafted with the best available material. This servant feel ashamed to lend it to you."

"Lanzhan scowled angrily as he snatched the bow from Jiangsu's hand. That brat Yuxian just took a random bow to beat my exquisite one. I want to see what a regular bow feels like."

"It must've just been pure luck young master. Your bow is truly unbeatable."

Lanzhan smiled wryly at his servant's glib tongue.

He tried to shoot a target made of packed straw with Jiangsu's arrow and true enough, his performance was slightly worse than if he used his fancy one.

So how did Yuxian manage to be so good at using ordinary inferior bow and arrow. He switched the bows back and forth from Jiangsu's to his and tried hitting the same target. It went on for a whole night.

Jiangsu stood in the cold watching his young master thinking that brat Yuxian must be something to cause his usually cold uncaring young master to throw such a fit.

When he was satisfied, it was almost daybreak. Jiangsu was sitting cross legged on the ground with his hand holding up his head from falling asleep.

His young master turned to him and gave him a few taels of silver.

"Get yourself a new set. I will train using yours from now on."

Jiangsu could only reach out his hand reluctantly and opened his mouth in shock. Did he hear wrong?

"But young master, this servant's bow is old and unworthy of someone of your status. Please let me keep mine and I will use this money to buy you a better one instead."

"No need. Yours will do." His young master affirmed.

After that, Jiangsu would accompany him everyday to the Wei manor to ask Yuxian for a rematch. Or at least Lanzhan wanted to watch a second time how Yuxian could pull off such an ingenious shot. He went home empty handed for nine times until he finally met Yuxian on the tenth visit. '

This Yuxian had some nerve turning down his young master like that so many times. He's acting like a maiden from an important family. How absurd! Jiangsu thought.

So when his young master gave away his precious bow and arrow set to Yuxian, Jiangsu felt that a huge mountain of rock just came crashing down on his head. For the proud young master to give away his rare diamond of a bow to the son of a mere servant - That was totally uncalled for. It made him see his master in a totally new light. He thought he had known him since they were little but that proved him wrong'

After that he would use the simplest material and hone his skills from there. So it has been a while their old master saw Lanzhan without the exotic bow he gifted to him and Jiangsu did not know what to say.

He was accompanying his young master in the weapon cleaning room when his old master came in and notice his son using an old bowstring.

"Lanwangji, why are you using such an old bowstring? Where is that good one I gave you?"

"A good bow doesn't make a good archer father. If he is skillful then whatever bow he uses will show his skill as much. I have given it away father, to someone more worthy of wielding it." The young master exclaimed proudly without a single ounce of guilt.

Hearing that, Jiangsu's face grew pale. He was afraid his old master who was famous for his awful temper would throw a ghastly tantrum.

Strange enough, the scolding and rage did not come. Instead, the silent room was filled with a roaring laughter.

"Hahahhhahahahaaa... My Lanwangji has grown up! Son, you must bring the boy who managed to beat you at archery sometime. I have to see it for myself!"

"Unfortunately it can't happen father. He is going away to his hometown recuperating his illness."

"Ill? What a pity. I would surely have him drafted to the imperial military academy."

Lanwangji nooded in agreement.