Chapter 2

This chapter involves suicidal thoughts. I'm not promoting suicide in any way, shape or form. If you need help, contact a help agency like Kids Help Line or talk to someone.

Sarah's POV

Grief.

That was all that filled my dreams.

My parents, dead.

Toby, dead.

I can never return home.

And I am stuck with the Goblin King.

These things play over and over in my mind, until I wake up screaming. I walk to the bath room and splash my face with water. A plan forms in my head. Walking to the kitchen, I take a small paring knife and tuck it in my pocket. Returning to the bedroom, I notice the beauty of it. I change into an elegant nightgown before sitting on the bed. I look at my wrist, fascinated with what I was about to do. There was no grief, there was no one left. I took the knife and sliced my wrist, content as the blood flows. Lying back, I feel peaceful, waiting to join my family.

***

Jareth's POV

I knock on Sarah's door, hoping she is awake. No answer. I knock again before opening the door. She looked peaceful, in a happy dream. I smile, happy that she's happy. Then I notice the blood.

"How could you do this to me?" I scream at the small figure. I hurriedly conjured a crystal and press it to her wrist. It sinks in and the skin knits together, leaving a faint scar.

Sarah stirs and I press my lips to hers for a second, before remembering and settling for a tight embrace.

***

Sarah's POV

I open my eyes to Jareth's voice hearing him murmuring about 'how could I have done this'. He cradles my wrist in one hand and has his other hand in my hair, stroking it. Careful not to disturb him, I observed the changed man. I reach my hand out and touch his cheek, longing for the contact. I barely brush his cheek when he jumps away, a scowl replacing his concern.

"Your self-harm has caused me to use my magic, exhausting me. I'll get the chef to make you some soup, you must eat it, even if I have to force-feed you. Do not disobey me."

I flinch at his harsh words and his quick mood swing. Just before, I could have said that he was a friend, now I'm not too sure.

I notice that his hand was still around my wrist, stroking where I cut. I stare, entranced at the rhythmic motion until he yanks his hand away,  face hardening even more. Searching his eyes, I look for the worried man who was stroking my head earlier. When I don't find it, a wave of sadness washed over me, causing me to collapse back on the mattress, curled in a ball sobbing.

***
Jareth's POV

It takes all of my will to remain impassive to her scrutiny.  It takes even more to walk out while she sobs. I almost make it too. Sarah started choking out a song as my hand touched the door and I paused, listening to the song.

"I'm tired of waking up in tears,
Cause I can't put to bed these phobias and fears.
I'm new to this grief I can't explain,
But I'm no stranger to the heartache and the pain."

I turn, heading back to the bed.

"The fire I began is burning me alive,
But I know better than to leave and let it die. "

My face softens as I hear the emotion behind the singing.

" I'm a silhouette, asking every now and then,
Is it over yet, will I ever feel again.
I'm a silhouette, chasing rainbows on my own.
But the more I try to move on, the more I feel alone.
So I watch the summer stars to lead me home. "

I remember the song from a previous trip to earth. Before Sarah could continue, I start the next verse myself.
" I'm sick of the past I can't erase,
A jumble of footprints and hasty steps I can't retrace.
The pile of things I still regret,
Is a vile reminder that I would rather just forget. "

She was startled at first but soon sung with me for the rest.

" I'm a silhouette, asking every now and then,
Is it over yet, will I ever smile again.
I'm a silhouette, chasing rainbows on my own.
And the more I try to move on,
The more I feel alone.
So I watch the summer stars to lead me home. "

I sit on the bed, stiffly, unsure whether to comfort her or not. Sarah decides for me, leaning against my shoulder.

" Cause I walk alone,
No matter where I go.
Cause I walk alone,
No matter where I go.
Cause I walk alone,
No matter where I go.
Cause I walk alone,
No matter where I go. "

I wrap my arm around her shoulder. Her singing trails off and I'm left to finish the song at barely a whisper.

" I'm a silhouette, asking every now and then.
Is it over yet, will I ever love again.
I'm a silhouette, chasing rainbows on my own.
But the more I try to move on, the more I feel alone.
So I watch the summer stars to lead me home. "

I hear her breathing settle as she falls asleep.

" I watch the summer stars to lead me home "

I sneak out of the room, not trusting my feelings. I've been trying to be the evil man she expects, but my true feelings are wearing the disguise thin. Running back to the study, I puzzle over how flustered Sarah makes me.

***
Hey guys, chapter 2. Sorry if it is short, I find it easier to write like this. Hope you got the coding with the singing (Italic= Sarah,  bold= Jareth, bold & italic = both) and don't be afraid to compliment/criticise me, as long as you give a reason for the criticism.