Let's Try This Again..

Start from the beginning

"Yeah. I was just takin' a lil nap befo' we had ta' meet up."

"I thought you weren't sleep.", I said, mocking him which made him laugh.

"You a trip ma'. You on the way?", he asked.

"Yeah. I should be home in like 20 minutes. Would you mind coming to my house? I'm hungry but I don't feel like eating takeout.", I asked.

"You cookin'?", he asked.

"Yeah. I don't know what though."

"Well shit Ion mind. Let me take a shower & get dressed. I'll be there in a few.", he said. I swear he's so greedy.

"Okay. I'll see you later then."

"Aight. See ya' in a few.", he said before hanging up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Knock! Knock! Knock!

"Coming!", I yelled before running to the door.

I got on my tippy toes to look through the peep hole, only to see August staring right back at me.

"Who is  it?", I asked.

"It's me.", he answered.

"Me who?", I asked just to mess with him. A small appeared on his face as a deep chuckle left his throat.

"Come on ma'. Quit playin'. I'm hungry as hell.", he said.

I giggled and opened the door.

"I only opened it because you were hungry.", I said, with a smile.

"So if I wasn't hungry, you woulda left me outside?", he asked, walking in.

"Maybe.", I said, closing the door.

"Damn! Whatchu cookin' girl? Got it smellin' good in here!", he exclaimed as he sat on the couch.

"Chicken Cordon Bleu, rice pilaf, and cream corn.", I said.

"Damn, Ion even know what half that shit is but if it smell that good then I'll have two plates.", he said, turning on the TV.

"The food should be ready in like 10 minutes. So let me get my notebook & stuff then we can get started.", I said, before walking upstairs.

I opened my briefcase & grabbed my notebook, pen & my glasses case. When I returned downstairs, I saw August spread out watchin' TV with his feet on MY coffee table. Has he lost his mind?

"Um excuse me? Where do you think you are?", I asked, putting my stuff down on the couch.

"Uh-"

"Take your damn feet off my table & take your shoes off at the door. Once you step in, your shoes come off. You're not the one who has to clean up dirt.", I said, cutting him off.

"Alright. Alright.", he said standing up.

He walked to the door & I heard his shoes hit the floor. He came back without shoes on his feet.

"Better?", he asked.

"Much. Thank you. Now where were we last time?", I asked, putting my glasses on.

"Where I went off 'bout my brotha.", he said, with an apologetic smile.

"It's okay. I forgive you. We'll move on from that. Um, favorite thing to eat?", I asked.

"Almost everythin'. Wait, I take that back. Ion fuck wit broccoli.", he said.

"Why? Broccoli is amazing.", I asked.

"Nah, I hate it. I can't tell ya' how many times Mama made me sit at the table til I ate 'em. I eventually had ta' eat 'em for breakfast.", he said which made me laugh.

"That's exactly what my Grandma used to do to me but it was always Brussels sprouts. I hate those things."

"Noonie hate 'em too.", he chuckled.

"I know. I found that out the day they stayed with me."

"Don't forget 'bout the food.", he reminded me.

"I won't I have a timer set.", I said, pointing to the timer on the dining room table.

"Just makin' sure you rememba cuz I'm hungry as hell right na.", he said.

"Did you eat anything today?", I asked.

"I went ta' my Mama house just morning ta' watch the girls fa' her while she went ta' work & ate breakfast wit them. Around 11 or 12, I ate a sandwich then we all fell asleep."

Rinnnngggggg!

"The food ready.", August said, pointing out the obvious.

"No shit Sherlock. I heard the ring just like you did.", I said, getting up.

"Well excuse me fa' not wantin' the food ta' burn.", he said, sarcastically.

"Smart ass.", I mumbled under my breath.

"I heard that!", he yelled.

[August]

Damn, that was good. I expected her ta' cook somethin' simple like steak or baked chicken. Not food from a 5 star restaurant.

"Damn, that hit the spot perfectly.", I said, puttin' my plate down.

"Ready to start?", she asked.

"Yeah."

"Okay so you said you were a Jr. I take that as you were named after your Dad.", she said.

"Uhh. Somethin' like that. My pops name was August & my GranPops name was August."

"Ohhh. So then your a third?", she asked.

"Nahh. My GranPops had a different middle name than my Pops so yeah."

"Your last name is so different."

"Different in a good way or a bad way?", I asked.

"Different in a good way. It's not like any other surnames like Jones or Johnson.", she explained.

"Thank you.", I said.

"I don't want to ask anything to make you mad so why don't you tell me things you want to talk about."

"Umm let's see. As we just said, I was named afta' my Pops. I didn't know him too good. Seen him a couple times befo' when I was younga & that was it.", I said.

"You don't have a relationship with him now?"

"Nah. He died a couple years back. Died of a crack-cocaine overdose. He had an addiction & it took him ta' the grave."

"I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to-"

"It's alright ma'. You ain't know. Yep he had an addiction & my step-pops addicted to the same shit.", I said, cuttin' her off.

"Step-dad as in your mother's boyfriend or husband?", she asked.

"Yep her bitch as boyfriend. He been in my life since I was like 2 & it seems like this shit gets worse and Mama don't realize it."

"& that bothers you that even though you didn't have a relationship with your real father, who had an addiction to drugs and died from it, your step-father deals with the same exact thing & your mother has to witness it. Am I right?", she asked.

"Exatly. Damn, I see why Mama pay you ta' talk ta' Kay. You good.", I said, which made her laugh.

"Thank you. I love my job. After like the first month, I told her that she didn't have to continue paying me.", she said.

"Why?"

"Because Kayden has a huge heart & helping her makes me feel good about myself. I couldn't sleep at night knowing that I continue to charge her.", she said.

"Well, if this continues, we'll be done wit this album in no time."