10

The door opened and revealed Yoshinori with his bag slung over his shoulder. His eyes squinted when he saw Asahi sleeping peacefully on my lap. I saw something flash on his eyes but I didn’t know what it is. 

“He’s sleeping?” He asked. 

“Yeah, he’s been sleeping for five hours now.” I told the older boy. 

He set down his bag on his table. “He hasn’t slept that long for ages.”

My heart sank. I looked at the younger boy. So he hasn’t been able to move on yet. 

“He...” I trailed, not sure as to whether or not tell Yoshinori that I kinda know about a part of their story now. “He told me things.”

Yoshinori froze for a moment but quickly regained his cool. He casually sat on the edge of the bed. 

“I don’t think you’re monsters.” I boldly said making Yoshinori stare at me intensely.

“I don’t think of you guys that way.” I sighed. “You were just caught in the situation, right?”

Yoshinori smirked. “We’re monsters, Mirae. We are.” 

I locked eyes with him. “No, you are not.” I stubbornly said because I know they are not and I hope they know that too.

“I kill people, Mirae.” He shouted causing Asahi to wake up. He looked confused and out of it. He awkwardly sat there in the middle of Yoshinori and I’s staring contest. After a while, he probably sensed that it was better for him to leave us alone so he quietly walked out of the room. 

“They’re bad guys!” I argued. “You killed them because they hurt you. You don’t kill for no reason.” 

“But we still kill, Mirae.” He said softly. “Even if they’re bad or innocent, we still kill. It doesn’t make it any better.” 

“Then why not stop?” I quietly asked. 

“We can’t do the anymore, Mirae. It’s already out of our options. There’s no way out, it’s either we kill or we get killed.” He said. “And we’d rather turn into monsters and kill than end up dying in the hands of those bad guys.”

“But you guys don’t seem the type to do this.”

He smirked. “Oh trust me doll, it’s always the least expected ones who turn out to be the worst. Besides, I can go as bad as the devil if I want to so you should be afraid of me.”

“That’s weird because I’m not afraid of you though.” I whispered. 

His head shot up. He looked at me weirdly before he broke into smile. It was a different smile. He looked like a child. He looked so innocent. He looked so accepted. 

“Thank you.” He said, catching me off guard. My lips curved into a smile. The things you do to me, Kanemoto Yoshinori. 

“By the way Yoshinori...” He turned to me once again. “Asahi and I might have finished your favorite strawberry jam.”

---

Yoshinori spent the rest of the afternoon glaring at Asahi while the younger boy stuck by my side looking for protection against the older boy. 

“Noona, I told you he would get mad.” Asahi whispered to me. 

“Don’t worry he won’t be able to touch you. I got your back.” I whispered back.

We ended up ignoring Yoshinori who was throwing fits over his strawberry jam. He wasn’t like this when I was the one who ate it so why is he mad when Asahi did? I can’t understand Yoshinori, he’s too mysterious.

“Asahi,” Yoshinori suddenly called his attention, “we need to go to Hyunsuk hyung’s house.”

“What will you do there?” I asked curiously. I know it isn’t my business but I can’t help but be curious.

“Mirae, you stay here. Don’t go out. Call me if anything happens.” Yoshinori said, ignoring my question. Now, I know that something is up. 

Asahi turned to me and gave me a smile. He then walked out of the room with Yoshinori tailing behind him.

“Yoshinori...” I called out his name. “Please, I know I’ve said this a couple of times already but be safe.”

He only gave me a weak smile before walking out the door. I couldn’t help but feel uneasy because I feel like something bad is about to happen.