How Long Will I Love You?

Start from the beginning

Emma turned around, attempting to locate where the sound was coming from. Her first suspicion and hope was that it was Theo. She wasn't disappointed. 

There he was. His handsome face, smiling as if they hadn't been speaking because of some stupid fight. Sitting on the counter, relaxed and at ease as he began singing;

'She goes red as soon as she talks. 

She's the clumsiest person I know. 

We can't seem to agree on what is right, but I couldn't imagine my life any other way. 

I'm scared that she may leave, I hate time passing without us talking. 

All I see when I sleep is her face smiling up at me. 

She's the one for me,'

Theo was singing the song that Theo sang to her at his house. The first time that he sang to her. The new lyrics made Emma reflect on how much has changed, but also what stayed the same. The acoustics in the old shop made the perfect setting for the serenading. Emma's heart was growing with each note that echoed around the room. The relief that was coursing through her veins was mixed with the regret of wasted time. 

'What a stupid fight.

We don't know how to deal with it.

We were both wrong, we were both right.

I just hoped that it is lesson learnt.'

When Theo finished, like the first time he sang, Emma was breathless. She was literally taken away with how much emotion and storytelling Theo could create in one song. It was their story.

'Theo that was beautiful. Thank you.' Emma said as she ran over to him, almost tacking Theo to the ground. 

'We still have a lot to learn, don't we Sunshine? But I'll start with this. I'm really sorry. It seems that we're both not sure what to do, but I'm pretty confident that over-reacted.  I just need you to understand. I have no exit strategy. I'm all in. If you leave then I don't know what to do. So when you were hesitant to attach yourself, well I guess, I was worried that my worst fear was becoming real. That you were realising that I'm not worth it.' Theo confessed.

'T, how many times have we gone over this? I'm not going anywhere. I think that whenever we have a fight its because we're both scared of losing each other- which ultimately makes the situation worse. I hate fighting with you. I hate not talking to you more. The worst part is that when I look back on it- it was for such a stupid reason. We're going in circles. You're scared that I'll leave, when I'm quite positive that you're going to get bored with me. Theo, you could literally have any model or actress. I'm only a girl who hasn't done anything with her life, who second guesses everything, who thinks in such a irrational and cyclical way, and who probably eats way more chocolate than necessary- like seriously its like I'm the Easter bunny or something-'

Theo cut Emma off with a kiss. Swiftly breaking it off as fast as it commenced. Their foreheads resting on one another, Theo whispered-

'But that's why I'm with you. Why would I want someone who's the same as everyone else? Who looks at life the same way as everyone else? Why would I want them when I'm in love with you.'  

Emma's heart stopped.  What did he say? As if hearing her thoughts, Theo continued-

'I love the way that you always prefer dessert to actual food. The way that you bite your nails and wriggle your nose when you're nervous. I love the way that even though you sometimes say the daftest of stuff, it always makes sense to me. The way your intelligence and calm look on life contrasts with everything in my crazy world. I love the fact that you are willing to put up with everything just because you want to hang out with me. You chose me. And I love you for it.' Theo stated.

'Theo- I'Emma started but Theo cut her off.

'You don't have to reciprocate it. I just wanted you to know. I've been thinking over it for a while, and I finally came to my senses and realised this week. Whilst planning your birthday surprise.'

'T, let me finish, dumbo.' Emma said, resulting in a chuckle from Theo. 

'I love you, you big idiot. We both may have no idea what we're doing, but I'm glad we're doing it together- I wouldn't have it any other way. Now, could you kiss me please?' Emma asked sweetly batting her eyelashes, as if she hadn't poured her heart out in her previous statement. She honestly hadn't noticed it coming. But in the back of her mind, she knew. She may not have known what love actually was, but she felt that it was the closest thing she could describe it as. Something indescribable. The fact that the last week had been torture was indicator enough for her to know her feelings, but hearing Theo's song and realising how much he loved her, made her completely sure. 

'Well, since you asked so nicely. How could I say no to the birthday girl?' Theo grinned, leaning in to capture Emma's lips. Emma reached up to his neck, pulling him closer whilst Theo's hands went to her hair. The electricity that was coming off of the pair was enough to power the whole town. Emotions were coming out in relentless waves. It was just like every movie had pictured it.

Breathing heavily, they pulled back. 

'So you spent a week planning my surprise then, eh? Well that explains the radio silence.' Emma smirked. 

'I knew that if I talked to you then I would give it away.' Theo smiled, pulling her close. Emma looked up into his eyes.

'Well, it's perfect. Thank you.'

'Happy Birthday Sunshine.' He said, planting a kiss on her head.

'So what's next?' Emma impatiently asked. 

'Next, is your first pint at the pub.' Theo announced, taking her hand and walking Emma out the shop, locking up behind himself. 

'Char would kill me if I didn't.' He stated, once finished.

'So you, Char and my brother were all in on it?" Emma questioned. 

'Yup.' Theo flashed Emma a smile as they walked down the quiet street. The pub was only known to the locals and was fairly near 'South Wests.' It's old architecture made it feel like it belonged in a victorian novel, the sunset created a warm, relaxed feeling. 

Upon arrival Emma was completely surprised to see both Harry and Max there too, waving her over with booze and a birthday cake. Char and Art were opposite them on the benches outside the pub. 

'You guys didn't have to!' She exclaimed when they were nearer, but Max was already handing her a beer.

'And miss this? No way! As an official adult, your first mature act is to chug this pint. Three, two, one, go!' Max explained, a joyous and slightly glazed over look in his eyes. Soon, the others started joining in on the chant, making Emma laugh as she consumed the alcohol. Their energy was infectious and Emma felt like she hadn't felt this carefree since her trip to Cornwall with Theo.

'Cake now?' Emma asked mercifully. Beer tasted foul, she concluded.

Several pints and half a birthday cake later, Emma found herself in a completely different state of mind from the one she woke up in. She glanced around the picnic bench, happy to see the content faces of her closest friends.

'Everybody smile.' She announced, holding up her phone. She began her mission, furiously typing on her phone.

A few minutes passed and Theo's phone went off. He checked it an instantly broke out into a grin, staring at Emma. 

On his screen, proudly displayed was her tweet.

@EmmaHardy2001-

Best birthday ever. Thanks T, xx

Below her words, she'd attached a picture of them that she had taken at his house of him kissing her cheek, as well as the one she had just taken. Emma had made sure that all location services were turned off before posting and only had one second of doubt, but seeing the smile that Theo was sporting right now, made her forget why she ever had any hesitations in the first place. 

Emma smiled back confidently as she said

'Oops. I guess there's no going back now. You're stuck with me.'