"No, no, we cannot be stuck." Her voice trembled faintly as she brought out her cell phone to light up the dark room. The lack of power was making her increasingly nervous, and the idea of being trapped in a confined space was not a good thing for someone like her with a past of hiding in a dark pit after getting lost during childhood. "We have to do something." She insisted with a hint of panic in her tone.

Maria stepped closer to the doors and began to bang her hands against them, desperate to escape from their confinement. "Hello? Anybody?! Is somebody out there?? We are trapped inside the elevator!" She pleaded through the doors, the noise reverberating around them as though echoing on the walls.

He listened to her banging noises that echoed in his ears until he couldn't take it anymore. "That's enough. It's pointless." He told her firmly, stepping up closer to her and tapping on one of her fists in an attempt to stop her from hitting the doors.

Her head immediately tilted toward his direction, dropping her hands from his touch furiously. "Stop what?!" She snapped back. "We are trapped in here, and hello, Mr. cool-headed, not everyone has the luxury of your patience. Someone could be passing by and if luck is on our side, we could be heard!" She said as her voice rose to a yell, the volume increasing with every word.

"Cut that nonsense. You have no idea what floor we are trapped in. How sure are you that there are people nearby?" He demanded as he stared her down. "Besides, I already sent for help by pressing the emergency button, and Daniel will notice my absence soon when he finds out my meeting with that old bag is over." He added coldly.

His words seemed to pacify her a bit, her shoulders dropping with a sigh as an intense pressure left them. "Okay...I hope so." She uttered breathlessly, her hand adjusting the golden strands falling across her face. "But how about you call him before waiting for him to notice that you are not around?" She suggested, staring up at him in the middle of the faint darkness.

"Right." Jayden agreed, lowering his gaze from hers in search of his phone.

Maria stared down to notice her phone was running out of battery and wondered why that day was a huge mess filled with misfortunes. She swallowed hard, wondering if Jayden was already doing as told but was surprised to find his expression blank when she looked up.

Her brows frowned at the lost way he was staring at the space between them. "What's wrong?" She had never seen him look so disoriented.

His brown eyes slowly met with hers, and she quickly recognized the look he was giving her; the type he always held before releasing bad news. "I don't have my cell phone with me." He gulped quietly, his hands still roaming over his pockets in a futile search.

It took Maria a second to process his words before her whole brain system crashed, leaving her blinking rapidly. Her mouth opened and closed repeatedly with a struggle to utter a single syllable. "Wha-what...??" She eventually managed after what seemed like a long minute, her eyes still locked with his in disbelief.

"What do you mean by I don't have my cell with me? You-You were with it a while ago, remember?"

"I know that." He muttered again, scratching the back of his neck slightly. "I think I left it at the office," he added quietly, looking away stylishly, knowing how guilty he was.

Maria could have sworn she wanted to crush his face until the last drop of blood ran out of him. But she refrained, not because she was excellent at taming her temper but because of the obvious fact that she was in no position to handle being sentenced to jail for murder.

Sighing heavily, she stretched out her phone, offering up the device to him. "Well, I have mine with me."

Jayden dropped his eyes to the cell phone she held, his chin raising slightly. "Do you have Daniel's number?" he asked, expecting a 'No' for an answer, knowing there was no way she was going to have it but asked nonetheless.