Chapter 23

First Published August 11, 2020 @23:36

Unedited

"I didn't think green was your color Clover, but I'm amazed once again," Cato beamed as I descended the stairs. It was the night of the reception gala for Cato, Marvel, Glimmer and I in District Four, and we were expected to look our best.
I wasn't sure where the dress had come from, since it was not one I had packed, but it was absolutely stunning. I had a feeling President Snow had picked it out, as I was quickly turning into his puppet on accident, and what way better to keep someone under your control than by providing luxury for them?
I had never had a dress that was so heavily beaded, almost sheer in the front besides the beading and sequins, and a crap ton of glitter on the skirt. For the first time, I looked much older than I truly was, gone was the girlish appearance I was supposed to have. Now, I was to be presented as someone worthy of the Games, and of the money the Capitol was spending on me.
"Earth to Clove!" Marvel yelled, waving his hand in front of my face, I had stalled at the bottom of the stairs, getting caught up in my own memories. I knew the days of the Victory Tour had passed, but it always felt like I was about to be paraded about any time I put a dress on.
"Yep, I'm here sorry, just making sure I don't fall over in these shoes," I laughed, quickly recovering to avoid questions, "I'm not really a heel wearing girl so these are quite the change."
"Can I wear your heels? I bet I'm better at walking in them than you," Marvel taunted, sounding like a three year old who was trying to bait an adult into doing something.
"I'm not that bad, these stairs are just steep, once I'm on level ground I'll be fine."
"Hey you two, did you forget about me?" Cato asked with a chuckle from behind me. In all honesty, I had. But once I turned to see him, my attention was fully on him.
Cato must've been given an outfit to match me as well because he had a white tux on, accompanied by an emerald green vest, tie and pocket square. I would be lying to say he wasn't absolutely captivating. I guess that was the plan though. Make people's eyes be on the kids so they would be more invested in ya as we got older. Everything was a scheme to get people with money more involved in the Games.
"Hey you two, stop staring at each other like that or we'll be late," Marvel coughed out awkwardly. Cato and I ended up laughing at his awkwardness before joining hands and following Marvel to the cars that were waiting outside.
In just one step outside of the house, I once again was struck by the shocking humidity of District Four. I then immediately began to fret about my hair, humidity had messed up my hair majorly when we had come before on the Victory Tour when I was sick once again.
Once in the car, we were greeted by air conditioning, and the driver informed us that it was a scorcher today, but that we wouldn't be standing outside at all, to which I was grateful.
The three of us fell into a silence, along with the driver as we rode through the city before Marvel spoke up with an awkward cough.
"Did anyone make sure Glimmer got to a car before we left?" He asked, scratching his head.
"No, I just assumed she had gotten in the other car to avoid us," Cato shrugged. A statement to which I nodded my head in agreement with.
"I guess we'll find out when we arrive now won't we," Marvel chuckled, always managing to find a spot to laugh to bring a smile to peoples faces.
__________
Glimmer had, in fact, been in one of the other cars. A fact which she would not leave us alone about, droning on and on about how we were late and she had to wait for us because the plan was for a united entrance between the four of us.
But we were still on time to the Gala, and were left outside waiting for about five minutes, in which I started to see my shadow grow a clump of frizzy hair. So much for looking polished.
"It's go time kids!" Someone who looked to be in charge cheered before pushing us toward the grand doorway of the District Four building. I let go of Cato's hand and held my head high, zeroing in on simply exuding confidence.
I knew from watching the Victors of years past that sponsors loved someone who oozed their confidence. Especially the smaller ones, it kept them guessing where such confidence came from.
As the doors opened, I heard Cato whisper "I love you," before we were plunged into the spotlight, surrounded by clapping and cheers.
It was odd to be cheered by people from outside your District, but I guess the career districts had been together for so long, any child from 1,2 and 4 that showed promise was everyone's hope. Especially for District 4, who was barely holding onto the respect it had gained from the likes of Finnick Odair, as they were no longer producing strong enough tributes. I had no doubt that this trip was planned to try to elevate the status of District Four.
Once the deafening roar of applause for us ceased, President Snow ascended the stairs, prompting yet another round of applause. The people of District Four were very cheerful for the situation, maybe it was just all of the wine that was bustling around.
"Tonight we are joined by some of the brightest, most talented students of Panem," the President began, "from District 1, the district of luxury, we have Marvel and Glimmer. And from District 2, both relatives of names you're sure to know, Cato Hadley and Clove Sevina," he announced, gesturing to us as another round of applause sounded about.
We were just showpieces. That is what I will be til the day I die. And maybe even after that.
"Now, I am sure some of you are curious as to who this lovely District will be sending on the journey of a lifetime to train with these four," Snow began again, however losing my attention. I'm not sure I even knew the names of the kids he called up, but they were clearly younger that Cato and I, barely reaping age. I clapped at the right times, smiled when attention was directed at me, and prayed for Snows speech to conclude so the wine could be gone flowing again and people would be so elated they'd forget why they were even drinking.
Unfortunately for me, there was a dancing period where I was expected to dance about with the people in attendance, clearly a ploy to get investors interested in me.
"Ms. Sevina, would you care for a dance with me?" An older man asked, snapping me from my haze after being worn down by the previous four men who had asked me to dance. I may be light on my feet, but dancing in heels was a whole different type of fight.
I wanted to turn him down, but I could hear Edrina in the back of my head, telling me to never turn down a rich man, so I nodded yes and took his extended hand, and began to dance.
I was wary of the older man, because unlike all of the others prior, he did not say much. He didn't discuss his business ventures, my progress, my beauty, nothing of the sorts. Instead he just danced joyfully with me. Perhaps he was trying to help me by showing off my grace, I hadn't quite figured him out by the time the song from the orchestra concluded.
"I'm dreadfully sorry Ms. Sevina," the man began, "I am not as wealthy as I once was, but if you ever need help disappearing, here's my card. You could be much more than a Capitol puppet. Keep them close enough to drive the knife straight through the heart and carve them anew," he whispered, slipping a card into my hand and moving off into the crowd.
I stood still in shock, someone trusted enough to be in one of the private parties hosted by the President himself, and a man was asking me to betray those very people? I'd have to admit I felt that way many times before, but always thought I was alone. Perhaps things could change, and maybe I needed to be the one to do it. President Snow already trusted me, now it was time to use that against him and make him pay.
________________________________
Hi, long time no see right? I'm really sorry about that. The dress for Clove is actually what should've been my prom dress this year, had prom not been cancelled. I went back and forth between using the picture of me in it and using the picture from the designer and decided the designer was probably better. However if you made it this far I guess I'll shove me down here

  However if you made it this far I guess I'll shove me down here

And yes, I'm very awkward, because who isn't. Anyways, I have something pretty big planned for our dearest Clove. She's not done trying to shake things up.
Who do we think is our mystery old man? Remember I've read The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes so some people may come in from there. I wanted this chapter to be longer but I also felt like it should cut off there, because I had a really hard time getting it where it is.
I hope you're all doing well, and I'm sorry for how long it's taken me to turn out another update. 
As always, I love you all and until next time
Brinley