Chapter 20

First published 5/17/20
Unedited

I quickly ran out of the gym after we were dismissed, hoping to have appeared shocked and upset. I was upset I guess, because there were parts of the encounter that I hadn't even seen before, probably because my back was turned to him before he came up to me. The things he did though made it even more obvious that, besides his outrageous claims, I was completely innocent. Just a sweet, innocent thirteen year old girl who was going about her day.

As long as Mr. Hadley had to pay for his actions, the embarrassment that may ensue would be worth it. I was done letting him walk all over Cato, his siblings, and me.

He said he'd make me pay for ruining his life, now the tables were turned in my favor.

______________

I was outside before either of the boys caught up to me, Marvel looking upon me with pride, and Cato staring at me with his eyebrows furrowed, trying to figure out what was running through my head, and probably trying to figure out his own emotions. It was quite a lot that he just had to take in.

"Clove, how are you holding up?" Marvel asked, finally breaking the awkward silence that had fallen upon us as we all caught our breath.

"I'm as good as I can be after seeing all of that," I sighed, before focusing my attention strictly on Cato, "how are you holding up? I know that was a lot," I asked Cato.

At that time, Marvel gave us a mini-salute and left, knowing that this was something Cato needed to be somewhat alone to absorb. He's a little picky about who gets to see him upset.

"I want to go home," he sighed after searching for the right words for what seemed like an eternity. I was waiting for him to flip out on me for not telling him, but I hoped he wouldn't. I knew he had to have understood this was my own personal crusade.

"Let's go home," I nodded, taking his hand in mine and beginning the walk back to the village. It was a silent walk, as we were both digesting everything that had happened still.

It was only a ten minute walk, but word of the incident at school must have spread very quickly , because there were at least five official coaches emblazoned with the symbol of the Panem in gold.

I stopped for a brief moment, flashing back to the last time I saw this many coaches around where I was living. The day my parents died.

I shook my head and dragged Cato up the front steps before opening the door. The whole room went silent, and everyone looked at the two of us. We were probably a sight for sore eyes. I knew I had let out a few silent tears on the walk, and I assumed Cato had as well.

"Children," Edrina shrieked, breaking the silence, "we have a few visitors that would like to speak to you!"

Visitors in official cars, I added in my head. I simply nodded in response and followed her, trying to keep my worry from becoming obvious. I became particularly nervous when one of the guards took Cato into a separate room.

Never let anyone see that you are nervous kiddo. Nerves are human, but push them aside, and never ever let someone know you are nervous. Always act like you are in control, I heard Brutus say from a deep distant memory. It was right after my parents had been killed, I was a whole six years old about to be questioned about my parents "rebel activities". i knew I had to be strong today and push all emotions aside. I had no clue who was on the other side of the door, but I had to be brave.

Edrina swiftly knocked on the door to the study, breaking me out of my thoughts, and asked whoever was inside if we could enter.

I was not expecting the voice I heard on the come from the other side of the door, but took a breath and turned the door anyways. It was go time.