C H A P T E R 7 7

It had now being a week since I visited my aunt. I was settling comfortably into my college schedule like before and there was no difference even in my routine with the exception that I no longer woke up at five in the morning to get ready and go for a jog. I now woke up at eight for classes at nine like a sane normal college student and Olivia was proud of that. She was just happy that I'd no longer knock on her door at the crack of dawn demanding for her company while I jogged. I had to admit it felt pretty good to get three hours of extra sleep everyday.

It had been a week but Ethan still did not come to meet me. I wondered if I should just lose hope and move on but it was too soon to take that decision but it would certainly be considered late if he showed up now. But I missed him. I missed him too much to the point where every brown haired guy made me think it was him, only to be disappointed.

Olivia and I had been getting along pretty well. Amelia had called the day after Tristan visited us and asked us how we were doing. She informed us that Juliet was getting cranky and annoyed at having to keep up a good behaved girl façade and she was on the brink of not giving a shit and just being herself.

There had been no calls from anyone after that and we didn't call them either. It was finally the weekend now and Olivia had made plans with her other friends to go watch a movie and catch up with them. She would've invited me but I declined because those group of friends and I were completely different and didn't mix. It would just be awkward and I wanted to save us both the trouble.

I was planning on completing my shift at the café and then go back to my apartment to relax with popcorn and a movie alone.

When I approached my building, there was a car parked right outside. It was the type that Ethan drove and I wondered if he really had come. I got really giddy and excited and I practically ran to my room and flew up the stairs faster than I ever had.

To my great disappointment I didn't find him waiting in front of my door. I searched the whole building thinking he just didn't know my apartment number but that wasn't the case. I didn't find him anywhere. The building was tiny so it didn't take much time to search but he was still nowhere to be found.

Heartbroken, I trudged back to my room and slammed the door shut so loudly behind me that I actually heard a crack but didn't bother examining the damage.

I regretted not memorizing his car plate number. But who did the car belong to? Nobody in this neighborhood was rich enough to afford that car.

I freshened up. I was in no mood to go through with my previous plans of movie and popcorn so I just flopped onto my bed, hoping to fall asleep.

I couldn't though. All I could do was stare up at my ceiling and listen to all the sounds my ears could pick. A car started up outside and drove away. I hoped it was that prissy car which got me excited for no reason. I heard someone bickering over something but their voices were too faint to be comprehensible. Then there were footsteps which got louder as they climbed upstairs. I was certain they'd pass by me but it stopped right in front of my door. I sat up.

It took the person five full seconds to knock on my door. I told myself to not get my expectations too high. It might just be the landlord or Olivia who forgot something or a pizza delivery at the wrong doorstep.

I opened the door without looking through the peephole. He was standing there holding red roses but I doubted my vision.

I stepped towards him and regarded him with narrowed eyes. He was smiling at me. I extended a hand and cautiously poked his cheek. My fingertip felt warm and soft. He was really here. My Ethan.

"Ethan," I whispered, still in disbelief.

"I'm sorry. I took too long, didn't I?" He held out the roses to me. "Pretty roses for a pretty you."