C H A P T E R 3 9

Find your tribe. Love them hard.

"You guys street shop?" I whisper asked Heather.

She turned to me with a raised eyebrow. "We can't?"

"I just thought it wasn't really your style."

"You couldn't be more wrong. We all love to street shop. We just don't do it quite often because we get mobbed a lot. But when we're in other countries, we need not worry because not a lot of people recognize us. It's also because we disguise ourselves."

"Wow. I never could have imagined people like you street shopping."

"That's what is annoying about people. They just assume that if someone has money then they look down upon poor people, see things that aren't designer as trash and generally are rude. Okay, they aren't totally wrong because all these things basically describe my mother. But still, just because of a few people they shouldn't think that all of them are like that."

"Okay." Some things just really get to Heather. I didn't know why she said all of that as if I hit a nerve. Maybe she had been accused of been rude, and someone who looks down upon people. Heather was actually quite a nice woman, just a little less pleasant when someone annoys her.

"Can I ask you something?" I asked and when she nodded, I continued, "Why doesn't Patricia like you?"

"Well, she's a snobby, bratty rich bitch."

I gasped. "You called her a bitch!"

"She deserves it. Now come on, put this wig on." Heather said, handing me a wig of curly blonde hair.

I put it on, examining myself. I guess I looked decent in it, unrecognizable too. The other girls were waiting outside for us as they had finished disguising themselves early.

Heather wore dark sunglasses and a cap over her Five Seconds Of Summer T-shirt and dark blue jeans.

I had seen a lot of pictures of Heather with the band so I couldn't resist asking her about them.

"Have you really met Five Seconds Of Summer?"

"Yeah. They are cool. Very funny."

"Who's your favorite?"

"Well, all of them were very nice but Ashton's my favorite. In fact, I talked to him just yesterday. Even though he doesn't know you, he still apologized for not been able to attend your birthday because the band is on tour right now."

"Oh my God. Wow."

"Now come on, the girls have been waiting for quite some time," Heather said, dragging me behind her and out of the room we were in. We were still at the hotel, well technically we were leaving for street shopping.

I shook myself out of the trance I was in and followed after her. "I'm sorry I diverted from the topic. I was asking why you called Patricia a-" I looked around to see if anyone was eavesdropping and continued in a low whisper, "-a bitch?"

"She has never acted like a mother to me. She didn't even want to adopt me but Justin, I mean my dad saw something in me and he just wanted to adopt me, treat me like his own daughter and he did a good job at that," she said with a smile. "He never made me feel as if I had come from a poor background, he filled the unknown void my parents had left in my heart. But Patricia," Heather paused, a sneer taking the place of that beautiful smile, "she treated me like dirt, still treats me like that. She thinks I'm a gold digger, a witch who cast a spell on her husband or something. She never left an opportunity to take a jab at my past and make me feel as if me being born was the biggest mistake in the world. I never understood her hatred for me. It's ironic how she does a lot of charity but secretly whispers to me about how I belong in the category of the poor people she's helping out."