C H A P T E R 2 7

The most innocent of the smiles are the least to be trusted.

Well, I felt bad for Charlotte and Alistair. Their launch party just got spoiled when they entered. Not because of Heather because she looked resplendent in her shimmery golden one shoulder gown, no but because of Ethan. He had an arm wrapped around her waist as they posed for the cameras.

The paparazzi threw endless questions at them about their relationship

The paparazzi threw endless questions at them about their relationship. They stuck to short and vague answers. After they had been clicked a few dozen times, they finally moved on and began mingling with people around. They hadn't noticed us.

We continued with our conversation about pointless things till they finally joined us after about twenty minutes or so.

Alistair excused himself to attend to his guests. People were crowding around the newly launched car and clicking pictures of it, or posing with it.

Ethan and Heather both greeted our small group. When Heather's eyes fell on me, she instantly went rigid. Her smile dropped but she still somehow managed to twitch her lips up into a barely traversable smile.

"Hey Juliet. You look good. Black's not usually your style. Why the sudden change in taste?" She asked casually but I sensed a hidden meaning in it. It was like she asked that question to get something out of me.

"Uh, I was bored of my usual style. So I thought I'd wear something different," I spoke.

She nodded before turning to Rachael and engaging in conversation with her. She was weird. I didn't know what was up with her but she seemed suspicious.

I looked around our group, catching Ethan's eyes but I quickly looked away. The last thing I wanted right now was get irritated by Ethan.

After a few minutes, we saw Mr. Jenson make his way up to the stage. There was a mic stand in the centre. He tapped on it to see if it was working. Everyone moved towards the tables to settle themselves for what he had to say. The lights dimmed except the one focused on Mr. Jenson.

"Hello, ladies and gentlemen," he spoke into the mic. The hall instantly went silent as conversation ceased and all the attention was on Alistair.

"Glad to have your attention," he smiled as a few flashes went off and a spotlight shone on the man on the stage.

"As you all know, the Jenson Automobiles is going to launch its newest model tonight. The Torrec Serychel!" The audience which consisted of a large number of journalists, bloggers, analysts and prospective clients, burst into claps and cheers. "We are all thrilled to bring this newest addition to you. It comes in a wide range of colors. The seats are a plush crosshatch leather. It's a two seat convertible. Everything a person would dream of in a car." He gestured towards the car. "It's not the fastest, I admit but you'll feel like you're flying. Much better, isn't it? The perfect car for you and your loved one. It's interiors are spacious and elegant. Drivers cane choose sixty four interior lighting colors and eight kind of massage functions. Since no one likes breathing the polluted city air, drivers can dock in their own fragrance in the illuminated receptacle in the globe box for their ride." He paused, looking around the audience.