SEVENTEEN

CHAPTER SEVENTEENTO GOING FULL KOOK

Kiara's fingers danced between the strings of her ukelele

Kiara's fingers danced between the strings of her ukelele. She was playing a soft melody that Brizo didn't recognise. She didn't know for how long she had been staring at the moon's reflection on the water. She felt defeated, exhausted, too much had been going on. 

Brizo had been trying to get John B to understand their father was dead for months, and now the she finally somehow had confirmed it, she realized she had a little hope that her brother could be right. 

She thought about everything. How were they supposed to live now? They were 16, the DCS had already an eye on them, they wouldn't be able to run from them for two more years. And what about the money? John B and Brizo's jobs weren't exactly the best jobs on the island. 

Just for one second, the girl wished uncle T came back and saved them from that mess. Or even her mom. Didn't she know, wherever she was, that her children weren't safe

"How much was it again?" JJ's voice cut through the silence of the night. 

After John B and Brizo calmed down, they went to the dock and just sat there thinking about everything they found out and how much their lives had changed in a few seconds. 

"Four hundred mil" John B whispered. He took a sip of his beer. 

"All right, let's talk the split" The blonde tried to cheer his friends up. "Now, before we say evenly, may I remind you that I am the only one that can properly defend us from those groupers who were after us. Protection? Not cheap, okay?" Brizo smiled at the thought of JJ trying to shoot Pope free from the fence in the cemetery. 

"You haven't trained" She answered softly. 

"You've done zero training" Pope said at the same time. 

"YouTube, bro! That's at least a five percent bump right there" 

"You haven't-" Pope tried to reason with him but it was useless.

"Any objections? Didn't think so" Brizo and Kiara both raised their hands. "I don't hear any, so..." 

"What are you gonna do with your 80 mil, Pope?" Kiara asked her friend. 

"Pay for college in advance.  And also, textbooks. Those are expensive" Brizo smiled at her friend. She had never thought about college, and now that her father was gone she hand't even gone to class. 

"What about you, Kie?" JJ asked taking a sip of his beer. 

"Yeah, what does a socialist do when she's rich?" Pope chuckled. 

"Just wanna make a double album. About OBX, the Pogues" Pope chuckled. "You know, the way Catch a Fire is about Kingston. Record it at Marley Studio, Peter Tosh producing..."

"Peter Tosh is dead" 

"Peter Tosh is dead. I know" She said at the same time Pope spoke. "But the spirit of Peter Tosh will never die" Everyone went silent for a moment. "What about you, Bee?"

Brizo felt her friends' eyes on her. She smiled and shrugged.

"I don't know. I guess I'd like to travel. Maybe go to Greece so I can see the Parthenon" 

"That's really cool" Pope smiled at his friend. 

"I know what I'll do" JJ stated. "I'm gonna get a big ass house on Figure Eight and go full Kook" He nodded with a smirk. 

"You're gonna go full Kook?" Kie laughed. 

"Yup. Gonna get a marble statue of myself, and then I'm gonna get a koi pond. Put a bunch of those fish-" He explained his plan to the rest of the group. 

"I'm never visiting" Kiara teased. 

"I'll visit you. I hope you have a nice guests room ready for me" Brizo smiled and took a sip of her beer. 

"I mean- You can always share a bed with me-" The group laughed and waited for John B to tell JJ off, but he wasn't in the mood. 

"What are you gonna do, JB?" Brizo asked softly. She dragged herself next to him and gave him a kiss on his shoulder. 

She knew how guilty he felt. The last words he told their father were all things he didn't actually mean. A fight is never a good way of saying goodbye. 

"To going full Kook" He finally looked at his friends with a soft smile on his face and raised his beer to a toast.

"To going full Kook!" They all cheered. 

A few minutes later, John B offered himself to drive Kiara and Pope back home to which they happily agreed. JJ declined the offer, and instead asked if he could stay the night. Of course the twins agreed and told him he didn't to ask. 

Brizo was in the bathroom. She put on a yellow long t-shirt. It was actually her favorite pajama since her father bought it for her. He said it reminded him of SpongeBob, she didn't know why but the memory always made her laugh. 

She stared at her reflection in the mirror and sighed. She was very tired, the bags under her brown eyes were proof of that. She took her long brown wavy hair and put it in a high ponytail. She then washed her face with cold water, trying to wash away all the bad feelings she had inside. 

Brizo left the bathroom and walked into her room, closing the door behind her. She rubbed her eyes as she let herself fall in her bed and screamed when she landed on something that definetly wasn't her bed. 

"Ouch!" Someone screamed. 

"What the hell, JJ?!" She said jumping out of the bed. The boy was lying on her bed, only wearing his pajamas' pants.

"I was waiting for you and I maybe had fallen asleep" He rubbed his eyes smiling at the girl. 

She sighed and got back in her bed.

"You're sleeping in the pull out" She said turning off the lamp on her nightstand. 

The room went dark, the only light coming from the opened windows that let some moonlight in. 

"Why? Did I do something wrong?" 

"No," Brizo chuckled. "I just don't want JB to get mad at us. He already has enough on his plate" She sighed. She felt the boy moving on her bed.

"Aw, Bee" He said laying down again and throwing his arm around the girl pulling her closer to him. He left his hand on her waist. "But John B doesn't have to know" He whispered on her ear.

She felt a shiver down her spine as she felt his breath on her ear. Her heart beating faster. She turned around, now their faces were a few inches away. She looked him in the eye, a bright blue shinning in the dark. 

"Fine, but if he finds you here, I'm not saving your ass. Again" She whispered. 

The boy just laughed and pulled the girl closer to him, her head now resting in his chest and her fingers tracing random patterns on his bare skin. She felt his body relaxing at her touch.

He put his arm around her and let his hand play with the cuff of her long shirt, pulling it up so he could caress the skin on her waist. 

"Get some sleep, Bee. I'll keep away the nightmares" He kissed her forehead and then covered them with the bed sheet. 

She intertwined her legs with his and held him as close as she could. He wrapped his arms around her, afraid that maybe she could change her mind and decide that she didn't want him there and decided to go. 

However, it didn't happen. Brizo fell asleep listening to JJ's heartbeats, feeling safe in the boy's arms. And once again, she didn't have any nightmares, instead she dreamed of gold coasts and crystal clear oceans.