TWO (II)

*TW - Sad thoughts??? I don't know how to describe it, let's just say a depressing and philosophical way to describe life. It made me anxious to write, so I guess it can make someone anxious to read it. 

CHAPTER FORTY-SIX - YOU CAN'T KILL A POGUE

I took a nap at JJ's. When I woke up, he was back from work and he was livid.

He got fired. Apparently one of Rafe's friends was there... accusing John B of being the one who killed Peterkin. JJ couldn't help but blurt out the truth, trying to honor my brother's memory.

It took me hours to get him to calm down and stop crying. It had been a long time since I had seen him have such a strong anxiety attack. When I finally managed to get him to bed, he begged for me to stay with him, and of course I did.

Arms around my body, and his head resting on my chest. I hugged him closer to me and wrapped my arms around him. I let one of my hands stay on his cheek, caressing and drawing imaginary patterns. I ran my other hand through his blonde hair, playing with it.

And that's how we woke up. Arms and legs tangled and bodies so close we almost were one.

As always it took me some time to get JJ to wake up, I couldn't let him sleep. We had school. I understand him, though. I didn't want to go, either.

John B and I had always been popular in our school. Not in the cool kids way, but in the bad way. Everybody knew us and our dad, and everybody knew we often got in trouble for basically anything you could think of.

Going back to that hell hole without him... A nightmare.

It was early in the morning, Kiara was picking us up, so I texted her and asked her to bring me some of my clothes to change. God bless her for being the best friend a girl could ask for. And her parents, too. For taking care of me.

And all of this... leads to right now.

Kildare County High School welcomes us one more year as Kie parks her car. I adjust one of John B's bandanas in my hair as I take a deep breath. I'm in the backseat, JJ is by my side holding my hand tight.

He squeezes it three times.

I look up at him. I've known him for years and I still can't comprehend how someone can be so beautiful. His hair is still messy, and he puts on his hat caressly. His eyes find mine, and worry washes over his features. He studies my face in search of any sign that tells him I'm not okay. So I smile and bring his hand up to my lips to leave a kiss.

"I'm fine." I assure him, although I'm not very sure.

"We're here for you. You're not alone, alright?" I nod, and JJ leans in to kiss my forehead.