chapter twelve.

LAUREN'S POV

I haven't really spoken to Leo in a few days. We text occasionally and he calls to talk to the kids, but I haven't really talked to him besides that. He'll try to call late at night when the kids are asleep but I just don't answer.

I know I'm probably being petty, but I have just been thinking about how he was at dinner with a girl the other day. I know I didn't get the full details, but still. Girls can be sneaky, that's for sure.

"Mommy, when is daddy coming home?" Dakota asked me as I put a plate of smiley fries and chicken tenders in front of her.

I let out a sigh. "I'm not sure honey. Do you want to call him later?"

She nodded her head. "Yes please. I miss daddy."

"I miss him too," I admitted. "We can call him after dinner. How does that sound?"

She agreed with me before skipping off to go watch some cartoons. Beau was already sitting in the living room playing with some of his action figures. I figured now would be a good time to start dinner while the kids are preoccupied.

I just decided to go with something simple for dinner since I wasn't in too good of a mood. The kids love pasta, so might as well make that. I put some water on the stove to boil and got out some noodles while the water was heating up.

I might as well let Leo know that we're going to call him just to make sure he's not busy and Dakota won't get too disappointed if we call him and he won't answer.

Dakota is really missing you right now and would like to call you after dinner. Is that ok? I sent.

I set my phone down and went through the kitchen to get some other things ready for dinner. I figured Beau would want garlic bread with his pasta, so I started making that.

I somehow keep finding myself thinking about that phone call with Leo from earlier. How I heard a girl's voice.

I know he said it was just someone from work, but it's a little weird that he has not mentioned anything about this woman and hasn't really been talking to me since. He barely even texts me anymore. I sent him a goodnight text last night and he didn't even respond.

The water started boiling, so I got the noodles out and threw them into the pot. I looked over at the kids, who were of course still focused on the TV and their toys. While I was stirring the noodles I heard my phone vibrate on the counter beside me.

That will work. Call me whenever. It read. Talk about enthusiasm.

Usually Leo is really enthusiastic in his texts. You know, sending emojis, exclamation points, all that. But recently he hasn't been. I know I'm probably just overthinking things, but I can't help but miss the small things like that.

About fifteen minutes later the food was done. I called the kids over from the living room and they came running, obviously excited to eat.

———

"Is daddy going to answer when we call him?" Beau asked as I threw everyone's plates and silverware into the dishwasher.

"Of course he will," I answered. "Why wouldn't he?"

"We haven't talked to him a lot since he left. I miss him," Beau said with a sigh. Wow. Even the kids are noticing.

"Daddy's just busy with work, sweetheart. Here, let me get my phone and we can call him now. I miss him too."