chapter eight.

THIRD PERSON POV

The ticking of the clock in the meeting room was all Leo could hear. Not the people talking, or the words that were being thrown around. When that clock hit six, he could go home. He had been waiting all day to go home, and it was Friday as well.

"What do you think, Leo?"

Once he heard his name, he snapped back into reality. He really didn't hear anything that was said.

"Sorry, can you repeat that?" he said, a little embarrassed that he had to say that.

His boss let out a chuckle. "Going to Seattle. Are you okay with going to Seattle for a few months for the publishing? Everything in your trip would be paid for, of course."

Seattle was always a dream place to go to for Leo. Since he was a teenager, he had always thought about moving there or visiting. But now that he had a family, his dreams had to be put on hold.

"How long would I be there for?" he asked.

"Just a few months. Maybe two or three, maybe four depending on how long it takes to get the launch going."

Four months. What would his family do without him there?

"And I'd have to leave my family for that time?"

His boss nodded, "Yes. The cost can only cover one person, which means it would be just you. I know it's a lot, but you're the best to send out there and we really need you to go."

He couldn't say no. It would be a short amount of time. It would fly by, right? A business trip couldn't hurt.

"Alright," Leo finally answered. "I'll go."

———

The ride home from work was nerve wracking. All Leo could think about was leaving his family. They were all he had in life.

Lauren had dinner on the table by the time he had gotten home. He walked in to see his wife and two kids already sitting at the table, waiting for him. When Lauren heard him come into the dining room, she looked up.

"Hi babe," she smiled. "How was work?"

He shrugged and took a seat across from her. "Alright. Kinda boring."

Throughout the whole dinner, all Leo could think about was leaving. He had two weeks left with them before he left for a few months. It would be worth it, but telling his family would be hard.

Around nine, Lauren came into the bedroom, exhausted. Leo had been reading a book while she insisted on putting the kids to bed.

"They're finally asleep," she breathed out before climbing into bed next to him. She immediately rested her head on his chest as he set his book down. "You okay?"

He let out a deep sigh. "I have to tell you something."

She looked up, confused. "Okay?"

He didn't know how to say it. It'd be easier if I said it now, to get it over with, he thought.

"I have to live in Seattle for a few months, for work. And I leave in two weeks."