chapter ten.

LEO'S POV

It's been about two weeks since I've left to go to Seattle. I love this city, but I miss New York more and more every day. I wish Lauren and the kids could see the city too.

I try to talk to Lauren and the kids every day. Sometimes it's hard due to the time difference and since I'm always working and she works too.

I was sitting in my temporary office when I heard a knock on the door. I looked up to see Amy, one of my coworkers standing in the doorway.

"Hey Amy," I smiled.

"Hello. Was just coming in to see if you wanted to go to lunch?" she said as she twirled her hair with her fingers. I looked at the clock. It was nearly 12:30.

"That's fine. Let me finish a few things and then I'll be out," I answered.

She nodded and then turned around to leave. Amy was really the only person I have managed to talk to so far, besides my temporary boss and a few other people. She was nice girl. I've managed to learn that she is 26 and lives with her boyfriend in an apartment a few blocks from the office, and she graduated from Washington State with a degree in writing and literature.

I felt my phone vibrate and looked down to see that it was a text from Lauren.

I miss you. It read. I frowned. I missed her more than I could say, I didn't know it was going to be this hard.

I miss you more. x Will call you later tonight?

Shortly after, I grabbed my things to head out to lunch. We've been going to this small cafe across the street from the office, and it's pretty good. I do miss the food back home in New York, though.

I met up with Amy in the lobby. She was on the phone with someone; probably her boyfriend I would assume. I looked down at my phone in the meantime.

Facetime? Miss your face ):

I let out a small laugh.

Of course. Will call you when I get home. Love you always. xxx

"Sorry, that was my boyfriend," Amy spoke up. "Anyways, ready to go?"

"Ready when you are," I smiled as we walked out the door. It was a bit chilly and raining just a bit, considering we were pretty far up north. I can't believe I have to deal with this weather for a few more months.

———

"I've only been dating my boyfriend for about a year and a half now. Marriage hasn't really been a thought of ours just yet."

Amy and I had managed to get into the conversation about marriage. She asked about how I had met Lauren, and how I knew I was going to marry her. I told her that I just knew from day one.

"You'll know when the time comes," I replied.

She sighed. "I guess so. Do you ever have doubts about your marriage?"

The question threw me off guard. Here I am, sitting with a co-worker who seems to want to know every little thing about who I am. I didn't know what to think of it.

She was nice, yes, but it seemed as if she was always trying to get me to find something wrong about my marriage or my life. I realized that she's very demanding; pushy, if you want to say that. But she is always determined.

"Um," I didn't know what to say. "That's a bold question to ask."

"Well everyone doubts their marriage at some point. So have you? My parents were in love for the longest time, then one day they just decided they didn't love each other anymore. They got divorced when I was seventeen."

"Sure there have been times," but have there? "We've has issues in the past, but they're always resolved. I love my wife and my kids more than anything."

She smirked, raising an eyebrow at me.

"And what happens if you can't resolve your issues? Then what happens?"

I shook my head. "I don't know. Haven't thought about it really."

"Do you wanna know what happened with my parents?" Why was she telling me so much about her parents divorce?

"Sure?"

Any smiled and nodded, moving to rest her arms on the table as she began to talk.

"I knew something was off when I was about fifteen or so. They'd always fight, but I didn't think anything of it. Two years later they came to me and told me the stupid bullshit reason as to why they were getting divorced," she said the last part with a small laugh. "You know, the 'we don't love each other like we used to' reason. About a week later I found out that my dad was having an affair with the woman that lived next to us."

I sat there in silence. What was I supposed to say to that?

"And that made me trust men a lot less. They're always trying to satisfy themselves. Even married men," she gave me a look as she said that last part. "Love my boyfriend and all, but-"

My phone vibrated as she continued talking. It was an email from my boss asking me to come to his office whenever I was free. Finally, the perfect excuse to go back to work.

"Sorry to interrupt, but Dan just emailed me and said he needed to talk to me. I think we should head back now."

She nodded and got up to grab her things, as I did the same. We walked back to the building in silence. Just as I was about to grab the door handle, she stopped me.

"Sorry if I made you uncomfortable back there," she sighed. "Didn't mean to. But look, here's my number. You know, for work. If you ever need anything."

She handed me a small piece of paper and walked into the building. I looked at it, before throwing it into my pocket. I don't think I'll ever be needing anything from her.