chapter five.

LEO'S POV

The sun was blinding as I opened my eyes. Not to mention, my head was pounding and I felt like I was going to be sick.

I shot up from the couch and made it to the trash can before I let out what I drank last night. I regret going out last night, to say the least.

Everything that happened last night suddenly flashed through my mind. Especially the fight with Lauren.

It wasn't my plan to go out with the guys at work. My coworker, Sam, suggested that a few of us go out and get a few drinks before the weekend started. I declined and said I wanted to go home to my family, but clearly my original intent didn't go through.

And—not to mention—my boss offered to buy all of our drinks. How could I say no to that? However, one drink turned into three, and three turned into a number I can't remember. And now here I am. Hungover and tired from sleeping on the couch last night.

I looked at the clock. It was around 7:30. The kids and Lauren don't usually get up till about eight or so. What was I supposed to do for the next half an hour? I couldn't even get into my room to shower...

I decided to just cook everyone breakfast. That was the least I could do to Lauren after the way I treated her last night.

Her favorite breakfast food was chocolate chip pancakes with bananas. She's going to know that I'm doing this because I want things to be alright between us, but I'm okay with her knowing.

"Why am I such an asshole, Wes?" I spoke the dog that was lying by my feet as I made the food. He just looked up at me and I smiled.

I heard the latter of little feet come down the steps. I turned and it was Beau. His hair had indicated that he obviously had a good night of sleep, and he had his Buzz Lightyear pajama pants on.

"Good morning daddy," he yawned and took a seat at the counter.

"Morning B. You hungry?"

"Yes! What are you making?"

"Pancakes. Chocolate chip pancakes. You want one?"

His eyes lit up, "yes! I want a lot of chocolate chips. Please?"

I laughed at how enthusiastic he was at this time in the morning. He was always the early bird—like me. Dakota and Lauren always likes to sleep in.

Dakota woke up around 8:15. I made her pancakes too, of course, and then the kids went outside to play with the kids that lived next door to us. Around ten or so, I heard Lauren's footsteps come down the steps.

Her pancakes were cold by now, but maybe she would appreciate the effort? I don't know, I'm not good at making people happy.

"Good morning," I was the first one to speak. Lauren didn't reply; she just gave me a soft smile and walked over to the coffee pot and poured herself a cup of coffee.

"Look Lauren, I'm sorry-"

She put her hand up. "Stop it, Leo. We can talk about this later." She looked over at the kids who were watching Disney Channel a few feet away from us in the living room. "I have to go into work later. We can talk when I get home."

"It's your day off though?" I said as more of a question.

"I know. I have stuff to do, though. I'll be home around dinner time."

She didn't say another word as she pushed her plate away and got up from her chair, only to head up back to our bedroom.