Barbecue

"Meaty meat, meat, meaty meat!" I heard chanting as I looked up from my manga and saw some of the Karasuno boys doing a weird dance while drooling and looking rather excited.

  "Put 'em together, you get meat and meat!"

  "Meaty meat, meat!"

  "Hooray for meat! Energy times a hundred! Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Meat is god! Meat is god!"

  "Teacher....did you not tell them about the barbecue?" Keishin asked, and I shot off the bench.

  "It just says 'meal' on the schedule."

  "Well, I guess it all worked out in the end." Keishin flinched when he turned back and saw me staring down at him with an intense gaze. "....Takachi, you have to wait for it like everyone else."

  "Tch." I made a face, and he looked shocked while covering his heart with a hand.

  "Don't you give me that attitude!" Plopping back down onto the bench, I picked my manga back up to read some more.

~

  "Let's play!" The players on the court roared in front of us, and it was Karasuno vs. Fukurodani again. The first few points went rather quickly, mostly to Fukurodani to no surprise. Between what I saw myself and Bokuto's bragging, his team had the most wins this entire training camp.

  "All right!" Bokuto shouted before spinning on his heel. "Did you see that, Takachi?! Hey, did you see my awesome cut shot right now?" He called from across the court while bouncing around. I gave a short nod and the smallest of claps to answer him, and Bokuto puffed out his chest while putting his hands on his hips. "It was pure luck, though!" He laughed.

  "Takachi, you traitor! Don't support the enemy!" Hinata made a face while pointing to the opposing side of the court.

  "Fukurodani's Bokuto is a real puzzle. Even when he's your opponent, you kind of want to cheer for him. Though, that might be because I think he's a player on a completely different level."

  "True...." Keishin replied. "He might just be a player who lifts the spirits of both his teammates and his opponents." He then nudged my arm with his elbow while grinning. "What do you think, Cuz?"

  "Nice." I mumbled while watching the volleyball go back and forth over the net until Hinata jumped for a spike but only lightly hit it over the two taller boys trying to block him.

  "Hinata just....did a feint?!" Keishin sounded shocked as everyone on the court froze to watch the ball bounce away.

  "A feint?!" Bokuto yelled in shock and awe.

  "You're the one that taught it to him." Akaashi popped off with irritation.

  "They all seem to be enjoying themselves. I wonder if it's because of Bokuto's influence." The dark-haired teacher was smiling on the other side of Keishin before going wide-eyed. "Wow, a dump! Kageyama's doing very well! He hasn't missed a jump serve today, either."

  "Yeah, Kageyama today is like....calm and collected. He gives you the same uneasy feeling as the calm before a storm." My cousin stated, and I glanced to the scoreboard to see that Karasuno was actually keeping up with Fukurodani despite having the most losses among the teams. It was as if all their hard work and separate training was finally coming together and paying off.

  There was so much happy shouting and cheering from the court and beside me, and it was clear this side of the gym was the most rambunctious. Even so....it was actually kind of fun to watch. They were just having a good time, figuring things out and showing off what they'd learned over the week of being here.