Mrs. Norris was warming up to Rose faster the Scorpius, which was something he was fine with. He didn't need musty old cat fur landing on his robes. 

Despite their punishment, McGonagall was rather for them. She had kept the library open late for them to research more spells for the Yule Ball. Scorpius reflected back to when he had really taken a look at what the Yule Ball was, and he had to say he was rather disappointed.

"Charmed like the night sky?" he pointed out the ceiling with the hand that wasn't entangled with Rose's. "It's always like that, you just switched it to the north pole so it was Aurora Borealis. No effort, love."

His Gryffindor princess scowled. "The prefects insisted on Starry Night as the theme."

Scorpius pointed out more flaws. "The color scheme doesn't match that. Maroon table cloths? This isn't a Gryffindor affair. Where's the navy? The silver? Aren't those night sky colors?"

Rose's face burned bright red. "Godric, not all of us have a sense for design."

He smirked. "You mean common sense-"

"Hey!" she smacked his shoulder. "Two minutes from being assigned a clean bill of health from Madame Pomfrey and you're already begging for a beating."

Scorpius smiled fondly at the memory. He looked forward to making new ones with Rose.

When he entered his room a letter was laid on his pillow, a familiar squawk echoing in the distance. It was no doubt from his parents.

He tore it open, deciding it was better to read it now than be distracted thinking about it during practice. 

Dear Scorpius,

Minerva told us everything. I know this journey with Rose must've been hard, but I'm glad you were able to work together to solve the crimes against Slytherin House. You have made your father and I proud. You are more than welcome home, and bring that Rose girl for dinner!

Love,

Mother

A second owl flew in, dropping a basket wrapped in cellophane containing a batch of burnt muffins. He opened the cellophane around the basket only to be attacked by the strong scent of vanilla. She really did put too much.

"Hux?" he called out as he pulled his quidditch gear from the closet. 

His house-elf popped up. "Yes, Young Master?"

"Can you get some ingredients for me while I'm gone for practice?"

~

The Quidditch practice was over rather quickly; more so Thea doing acrobatics on her broom while she watched those who hadn't stayed for winter break do most of the training routine.

Lana Avery, of course, was no longer on the quidditch team. And as Althea winded down the talk she introduced the new addition to the Beaters.

"Mr. Albus Potter will be our new Beater. I've seen firsthand that he's adequate enough on a broom." she teased, no doubt referring to the night he was knocked out on the back of Albus' broom while they were chased by dementors.

Albus emerged from the tunnel with Quidditch gear on, a shy smile on his face. It threw Scorpius off, his best friend was hardly the shy type.  But he did notice that Albus preferred to stay out of the limelight and simply enjoy the company of friends. 

"Congratulations, mate." Scorpius clapped a hand on Albus' back. "I'm sure you can keep up with Grffyindor's Beaters."

"It's just one Beater in particular." Albus swallowed. "I tend to do a lot of pranks on Hugo. Not looking forward to a bludger whacked into my face."