XXVIII

It was pep rally day.

All of the freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors wore their assigned shirts. For juniors, our shirts were a dark pink color.
I wore light colored jeans under my shirt with my hair pulled up into a fluffy bun. Diamond earrings sparkled in my ear and my lip gloss shimmered under the dim lights.

We all sat in the gym, waiting for the principal to begin the rally. The gym was filled with chatter, each conversation echoed from across the room.

I sat all the way at the bottom of the bleachers. On my left, sat Elisha and her boyfriend Brandon. Elisha didn't really pay me any mind. She was clearly occupied with her boyfriend as she held onto his arm and laid her head on his shoulder.

On my right, was Ally.

Her blonde hair was tucked into a messy bun and her dirty converses tapped onto the floorboards. She wore a baggy jacket over her shirt, her blue eyes poking into me.

"Just go, he won't bite," She attempted to convince me.

My nerves was bad and my legs were shaky. I kept looking up behind me at the top floor of the bleachers.
There sat Dallas, stone-faced. He sat alone, even though he was near his friends. But he wasn't laughing and joking with them.

"He looks mad," I comment, watching him with a scared frown.

Ally put her hands in the pockets of her jacket, "Well yes, he could be. You did lash out on him," She responded.

I gave a hard sigh, "But I didn't mean to hurt him. I didn't mean for everything to end in shambles like this,"

Ally smiled and rolled her eyes.

The gym smelled of concession food and perfume, seems like someone went a little bit overboard. The air inside the gym was stuffy, and the overhead blaring lights seemed to glare at all of the chatty teenagers. Even still, excitement boiled up inside of everyone's spirit.

I kept peeking at Dallas. Ally wants me to let go of my fear and just talk to him. To apologize for yesterday. But I underestimated how absolutely terrifying Dallas looks when he's angry. In a subtle kind of way.

His dull eyes stared directly ahead, and he sat still. His eyebrows were furrowed with aggravation and his overall fiery aura burned into every pair of that eyes laid on it. I couldn't help thinking that this was it. This was the end of our friendship.

"Jasmine, you're overthinking it. He's not going to turn you down. Frankly, I bet he's waiting for you up there," Ally says with a knowing grin.

I shake my head, "If I go up there, he'll say he hates me and shoo me away. I've got no choice but to stay down here with you,"

I used any old excuse to stay put. Ally rolled her eyes, a bit annoyed. "If you don't go up there in the next 3 seconds, I'm going to go tell him everything myself," She folded her arms and gave me a look.

I creased my eyebrows and looked at her, "Tell him what?" I challenged.

Ally tilt her head in a taunting matter, "I'll tell him that you really want to talk to him and that you love him and that you're sorry,"

My eyes widened, "What? Why would you even-"

"You think I won't?"
Ally puffed her chest and seemed to get ready to stand up. She braced her arms and legs to swiftly turn around and head for Dallas.

I watched her, looking for any signs of weakness. She couldn't have been serious, right? Ally stared me down, her expression showing no evidence of a joke. Her eyebrows were raised and for once she looked a tad bit intimidating.