I

It was Friday. The best day of the week. But at night, it was golden for Auburndale, my town, and my school. 

 Yes, Friday was football night. Our team was the Raiders. They're not too bad. 

 Since this town was sort of small; the majority of teenagers went to Auburndale High. Meaning football night was a very big deal. Even for a small game. The Raiders always won, and when they lost, it was kind of a devastating hit to our town. 

 My 2nd cousin - Beau - played for the Raiders. He wasn't quarterback, but he played really well. Our eyes are always on him at every game. And I was excited this time.

 There I stood in the mirror.

 I had denim jeans tugged on, pulled all the way up to my bellybottom with a belt buckled tight around my stomach. I had on a cropped t-shirt with a long sleeved grey cardigan on my shoulders.
My hair was braided into two large braids on either side. The ends of it laid on my shoulders.

 I wore black colored prescription glasses.

 The squared lenses were way too lazy for my style, but I soon settled because they allowed me to see so we're even I guess.

 The mirror I stood in front of was in my room. My apparently shared room.

 It was a bit messy, not going to lie. With clothes hanging around here and there, old chargers, books, and other stuff. 

 Looking back at my face, I had a round nose. My lips were fair, not too small not too large, I was thankful for that. My eyes were brown, just like 80% of the rest of the population. My eyebrows were 'meh'. The biggest thing I never liked about me though, were my abnormally large ears. Like what the hell.

 They were round, and poked out like there was no tomorrow. 

 I was always made fun of for my big ears. If there was anything someone had to say about me, it was always my ears getting attacked first. Growing up hearing things like,

 "Girl look I bet with them big ass ears you hear every damn thing."

 Quoted from my wonderful sister Nalia. 

 It was a struggle, not going to lie. By the way I was tall, sort of. Around 5'8. I played basketball when I was 5 all through 14. But then I decided that I wanted to do Visual Arts. My real ambition.

 Auburndale High had an art class. And I went every week.

 We usually learn the history of art itself and famous artists. Other times we do art projects. Which is fun.

 "Aye Jasmine! Where's the brush!" Nalia yelled from another room.

 "I don't know where you put your stuff at!" I yelled back.

 "Help me look, I look for your stuff!" She argued. "No you don't!" I quickly retorted.

 "Aye aye aye aye. C'mon now.." My dad appeared in my doorway. "..y'all don't be doing this look i'm in a good mood, we in a good mood. The Raiders about to shut it down. Match my energy." My dad spoke playfully.

 Yup. My dad. The clown in my family. He always makes us laugh. His presence and energy was enough to light up the room. 

 But of course, there were others things. Apparently I have 2 step brothers. Nalia is my only sister from my mom, Betty. Which is such an old name but she's younger than she sounds.

 "Yeah yeah yeah let me put on my shoes real quick and i'll be right with you." My head lowered so I can look for my shoes, wherever I throw them things.