♱Sixty-Eight♱

The doors swing open. Cathen steps into the estate with his guards, a dramatic entrance for the dramatic prince. His clothes are pristine white, gold and red, tailored perfectly to his muscular form. The crooked smile on his face doesn't even falter when he spots us at the top of the stairs. He does, however, linger on me for a moment as if double checking that his sight is working properly then faces Soran.

"Your Highness," Soran says with a bow of his head that I mimic. I can't exactly bow when Soran's arm is still around mine. I consider if he did it on purpose, as an excuse not to properly bow. Somehow, he always finds ways to piss off the royals. It's all in the details!

"Lord Makai, Wallie." Cathen nods in our direction. "It's good to see that you're both alright. When we received word of the attack, it was honestly shocking. We sent guards as soon as we could. Luckily there were no casualties on your end."

"Lucky indeed."

Soran descends the stairs with me at his side. Malatis follows, our shadow with a piercing green gaze, or perhaps mine. It is only now that I notice he is standing far closer to me. Even at the bottom of the stairs, he sits beside me, his tail thumping against the stairs as if he's annoyed.

"We're honored to have you visit," Soran says, although we all know it's a lie. "This way. Dinner has been prepared."

"You are most kind."

Cathen follows us. I do my best not to meet his gaze, but when I end up doing so, he smirks. Not friendly or teasing, something more sinister that makes my heart race in a far less pleasant manner.

In the dining area, the table is set. I've only ever helped set it up, never sat at it. The cushions are as soft as my bed. The silverware is sparkling silver. While Cathen sits at one end of the table, Soran sits at the other and I am on his right. Again, Malatis perches himself next to me, never taking his gaze off the smirking prince.

Food and wine is brought out on golden platters that we haven't used since Lord Movell and Lady Connte's visit. I never thought I'd be on the receiving end, trying not to make eye contact with my co-workers that are now serving me. Once they're gone though, the real problem rears its ugly head in a mess of golden hair.

"Emperor Pihre and his men must have been very confident to have broken the treaty by crossing into our borders and attacking our citizens no less, but I see that whatever plans they had were for naught."

"Obviously." Soran eats elegantly, like he isn't speaking with his mortal enemy. I'm nibbling at my food, suddenly very aware of my lack of table manners. "They were cocky and they paid the price, I assure you."

"I have no doubt, after all, the hideout in which Wallie was held captive has been burned to ash. Nothing remains, but this is the best for all of us. We were unaware that the Pihre's had a hideout inside our borders. Thanks to you we've been rid of it. My father wishes to give his gratitude for that."

I didn't know about that, but it isn't surprising. Soran destroyed the evidence so the Baylor's can't get their hands on whatever odd ritual they tried. Although it did fail, Soran was severely injured so best not let the Baylor's know a thing.

"My father is already speaking with Emperor Pihre about his transgressions. Don't worry, Wallie, we'll make sure this doesn't happen again," says Cathen.

I'm shocked to have been acknowledged. When Cathen looks at me though, Soran hisses, "It shouldn't have happened to begin with. Perhaps the guards need a good scolding considering they can't protect their own citizens."

"How were we to know a group of mages would be sent to capture your lover?"

I choke on my drink, barely managing to wipe the wine from my mouth before it stains my suit. I swear Malatis snickers. I glare over my shoulder at the cat that looks away before meeting my gaze. He totally snickered!