♱Fifty-Seven♱

Third Person P.O.V.

Kailyn Marsh had a secret that he swore to never tell. Kailyn Marsh was not his name. His true name was Kailyn Makai and he was the bastard son of late Emperor Elyon.

Unknown son from one of the emperor's many visits to the brothels. Son to a woman known only to the emperor as another pretty face. Son to the man that ordered every woman he slept with to be slaughtered and their families put to death to be safe. Son hidden in the woods, left to die only to learn that his mother had died instead.

When Kailyn got older, he swore to work alongside the Baylor's that killed the bastard that dared to take his mother. He swore to make her proud. He wanted to think that he did after becoming a Knight of Aena at the mere age of 26. With nothing to his name other than his own stubborn nature, Kailyn had worked his way up from the 3 year old orphan passed from family to family, living among the streets and begging for money, to a named knight guarding king and country.

But that all changed after only two years of service. When Kailyn was named Captain, a leader of his own troop of five hundred men, he learned a deep, dark secret of the Baylor's.

"Soran Makai, have you heard of him?" asked Grand Knight Lucar. He leaned against his desk, a deep mahogany beast in a burgundy room as deep as the blood of a battlefield. His wrinkled face was scarred and gray hair cut short atop his head.

Kailyn was likely one of very few that disliked being at the castle. He felt nauseous during every visit. There was something in the air that left a vile taste in his mouth. His stomach always twisted into a knot. His head would pound and hands shake. He couldn't explain it.

"Yes," Kailyn answered. "The vampire that lives at the Makai estate."

He stood tall before his leader, brown eyes focused and stern. Kailyn wore his own scars of battle beneath his armor. He was tall, muscular with a scruffy black beard that matched his hair. Kailyn held no contempt for his half brother knowing full well the boy was as much a victim of a poor excuse of a father as he was. However, he wasn't much interested in getting to know him either.

"Yes, the vampire that the public believes lives at the Makai estate."

Kailyn raised a brow. "Believes, Sir?"

"He never left the castle."

"I'm afraid I don't follow."

"As you know, thirteen years ago, His Majesty overthrew the dark priests. The cursed bastard was kept under heavy lock and key here in the dungeons, always watched. We could not risk the child growing stronger, but after many years we learned the gift of immortality is one he truly possessed."

Kailyn was no fool nor were the Baylor's. He knew what that meant and his stomach twisted into a painful knot at the implications.

"After four long years of attempting to be rid of him, he was finally put into a deep slumber. He has remained that way ever since."

"Why are you telling me this, Sir?"

"Because a group of Unborn have been spotted to the east, a hoard of them. His Majesty believes they may have more answers concerning the cursed creature's condition and wishes for you to take your troop to apprehend them. We mustn't have others looking into their research so I am entrusting this duty to you. Defeat the Unborn and bring their research here in hopes that we can finally end this cursed bastard." When Kailyn didn't immediately respond, Lucar asked, "Are you not up to the task, Captain?"

"No, Sir. I will see it done. You can count on me."

"Good. You leave in three days. Good luck, Captain."