♱Sixteen♱

Is this really my end? Dying by some unknown assailant in a dark room for reasons unknown? I want to scream and shout and fight back, but the moment I move, thinking I'll at least stab the bastard once, their sword is coming down.

My eyes close waiting for the inevitable, but it turns out that death isn't inevitable, at least not today.

My bedroom door swings open. There's little light compared to earlier for there is a twisting black mass that whistles into the room, slamming the assailant to the ground. Their sword slides across the floor while I blink rapidly to the new light. A black figure with undertones of red rests atop the hooded man on the floor. The assassin reaches for the blade at his side but his neck is snapped before he even grabs the hilt.

Then it's over, just like that.

The assassin lay dead on the floor, neck twisted like a pretzel. I know who the dark figure is, but he doesn't look himself. When Lord Makai stands, he's taller with longer and leaner limbs made of pure shadow and only the red of his eyes and pointed teeth are seen. Each step he takes causes the floorboards to creak until he's kneeling before me, the shadows evaporating into the air until he looks his usual self, save for his eyes. They're pure red, glowing like stars.

"Are you all right?" He asks, holding out his hand in a manner that reminds me of the past. Once again, he saved my life. I'm grateful, but I'll probably be pissed off about it later.

"I'm ok," I answer, taking his hand that helps pull me up. He attempts to pull away but my grip only tightens. I'm still shaking. I'm still trying to catch up to what happened. "How—did you really hear me?"

"Yes. You're very loud."

"I had to be—"

"What's going on?! Is everyone al—oh my god!" Screams one of the hotel staff that comes running in, likely to check what's happening. She throws her hand over her mouth, eyes tearing up in horror upon seeing the corpse.

"It appears security here is rather lax," Lord Makai says. His eyes have returned to normal, but they're still unsettling to most. "Inform the authorities of the attempted attack on my butler. We will be in my room should they wish to speak."

"Your room?" I ask, but he's already walking out the door. Well, we are since I'm still holding his hand—shit, I'm still holding his hand! Now it's me attempting to let go, but Lord Makai doesn't allow it, continuing to ascend the stairs.

"Considering what happened, it's best you not sleep in the servant quarters." Then Lord Makai's nose wrinkles with disgust. I don't know what he's thinking, but he appears more distraught.

"Why...why do you think someone came for me?" I ask after we reach his room. The door shuts behind us and I drop into a chair, realizing then that I'm so exhausted I can't stand even if I want to.

"Why do you think?"

I really don't know, and that must be apparent on my face.

Lord Makai sighs, "If you haven't noticed, those around me do not last long. They leave or someone makes them leave. Even if their departure is not by my own doing, it still has to do with me."

"And that bothers you?" I ask, only realizing afterwards how such a question can be misinterpreted. I frown at the intense glare Lord Makai suddenly sends me.

"You humans truly do think so little of me," he says with such hatred hissed into his tone that it's terrifying.

"No, I-I didn't mean it like that!"

Lord Makai snorts and turns away, but that isn't fair. While I understand his frustration, I'm not going to let him determine his own truth that couldn't be any further from the real truth.