♱Eleven♱

When I wake, I find Lord Makai has fallen asleep as well. It's hours later. The sun is low and casting a warm light into the carriage. Lord Makai rests with his legs outstretched, arms crossed and head leaning against the glass, rocking from side to side with the movement of the train. Like this, he seems so exceedingly normal, save the being filthy rich part. But just as a man, resting on a train.

He isn't bursting into flames because of the sun. He doesn't attack any human he comes across to drain their blood. All the tales from books or rumors are so disproportionate to the real thing that isn't nearly as bad as others make him out to be. Rude, annoying, a typical noble, yes, Lord Makai is all that.

But a monster? I'd argue against that.

I'm not sure if he needs it, but I reach for a blanket and drape it carefully over his form. He stirs in his sleep, nothing more, then I watch the occasional farm or town pass by.

The scenery is breathtaking. Snow has covered the grounds and the train kicks it up from the tracks into puffs of smoke that dance with the wind. The sun peeks through the clouds, causing the snow to sparkle like stars. Winter was always tough at the farm; having to make sure we last through winter was what pushed us through the rough warm months. But now I can sit back and enjoy the cool air and breathtaking snowfall. Feels like I'm seeing it for the first time.

When the sun is about to set, there are lights on the horizon. The train is turning and slowing. We must be nearly there. There's obviously a town bustling with life. Great tracks of smoke escape into the sky. Snowflakes continue to rain down. There are ice crystals hanging from trees and frost on the edge of the glass. The train is fairly warm but I find myself shivering then looking to Lord Makai.

I'll wait to wake him. That was the plan at least; moments later something odd occurs.

I'm watching the snow fall when a low groan fills the room. Looking to Lord Makai, I find his brows furrowed and body tense. His head presses roughly against the glass, there's an expression of discomfort on his face. Then the compartment darkens, like a sudden shadow has consumed it. Lord Makai is breathing heavy. Everything starts to rattle. His wine glass nearly falls off the end stand before I catch it. What's in the cabinets shake and Lord Makai's fangs enlarge, pushing past his lips. Voices are heard, other passengers gasping and asking what's going on.

Whatever is happening is affecting them too? I don't know what it is, but Lord Makai is likely causing it so I call out to him, "Your Grace!"

No answer. Something starts to crack. It's the window, cracking around Lord Makai's figure, stretching out like a spider web. My eyes widen and I swiftly move over to wake him, pressing my hand to his shoulder, "Your Gra—"

I can't breathe.

Lord Makai's hand is wrapped tightly around my neck in an instant, squeezing so painfully that my eyes water. His eyes are searing red, so bright that they could rival the stars in the sky. But his face is twisted into that of anger, fangs bared to resemble a cornered animal ready to attack.

I grip his wrist and smack his arm without thought. I just want him to let go. I can't breathe. It hurts. The room is growing blurry. There's no thoughts, only actions, keep hitting and kicking my legs to get away.

Then the air returns in a giant gasp when Lord Makai releases, staring wide-eyed as I cough violently on the floor. His eyes fade while he sits frozen in place.

My neck hurts so bad that I know it'll be bruised. My lungs ache and burn. I gasp and cough and choke on the air that I can't seem to get enough of. The shadows fade. The rattling has stopped and the train horn blares, signaling we've made it to Isabe. But I'm uncertain if I can stand. My legs are shaking uncontrollably, as if they still believe I'm being attacked.