:A Surreptitious Relationship: Chapter One

Start from the beginning

            "Well?"

"N-no, we don't."

            "Good."

            "But we're in school," I pointed out. "And I didn't know if anyone was in here. We have to be careful, Chris."

            A grin spread across his lips and he took a step towards me, bringing up his arms. Before he could touch me I ducked out from under him and took a few wary step backwards. He gave me a pouting look. "What now?"

            "No PDA," I scolded him, although I was doing my best to resist the urge to touch him too.

            He narrowed his eyes. "I don't like these new rules, Holly."

            "I don't either," I admitted with a small sigh. "But I don't want to take a chance of ruining anything. Everything has been so perfect lately..."

            "Speaking of perfect, a few more members of the gang were caught and brought to jail," Chris told me, grinning again. "Word is that gang disbanded."

            My eyes widened. "Really?"

            "Really."

            "So when Shawn went to jail it really was the end..."

            "Guess so."

            Silence filled the room now. Chris and I just stared at each other, not needing to say anything. He smirked when I finally felt my cheeks heat up. If there was one thing I wasn't good at, it was eye contact. I couldn't hold it for the life of me.

            "So, um, what did you need me for?"

            An expression of surprise quickly passed over Chris's face. "Oh, I almost forgot! Two new transfer students are arriving today," he informed me, gesturing with his hand for me to follow him. "I need you to do me a favor and meet them in the front office and bring them here."

            "Why me?"

            "The principal asked me to ask someone in my fourth period biology because the two new students have biology this period," Chris told me. "Not that we actually need more students in this class..."

            "Both of them?"

            He nodded. "Yeah. I heard they're twins."

            "Really?"

            "Really, Holly," he responded, rolling his eyes. "Are you trying for that to be your catch phrase?"

            I scowled. "No."

            "So will you do it for me?"

            "Sure," I responded, nodding my head. "So I just bring them here?"

            "Yeah. We'll have someone else show them to their other classes."

            "Okay."

            Chris reached out and ruffled my hair. "Thank you, Holly."

            I pulled his hand off my head, but didn't let it go. "You don't have to thank me... Mr. Heywood." Before he could say anything back, I quickly let go of his hand, and nearly ran out of the classroom. He called after me, but I ignored it, chuckling quietly.

            The trip to the front office only took about a minute. Before entering I smoothed down my hair, checking myself in the reflection of the window on the door. When I looked presentable, I pushed open the door, heading inside.